Thread: New 10SEER condenser with existing 8SEER Coil?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

New 10SEER condenser with existing 8SEER Coil?

Any problem installing new 10SEER 5 ton condenser with existing 8SEER Evap coil? Thanks.

Post Likes

10 SEER? From Where?

I can't imagine anyone having a new 10-SEER unit still in inventory. What I can tell you is that if it's an AC only unit, it will work but the SEER rating actually achieved will probably somewhere in the 8.5 area. A new evap coil is highly recommended. However if the unit is a heat pump, I wouldn't do it without replacing the indoor coil. An R-22 heat pump with an undersized coil will blow the high side pressure up over 500 PSIG when you switch to heating and the internal pressure valve will open in the compressor. Simply put it probably won't work on a heat pump.

Post Likes
    Add a txv. It should dehumidify well. Seer rating is tossed out the window, but if you're in an area with inexpensive electric and a cooler climate, why not use it. This isn't saying I don't prefer a new matched system.....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Why add TXV? Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vrocrider View Post
    Why add TXV? Thanks

With a mis-matched system, this controls the system's superheat, and adjusts according to the load on the coil, running more effeciently while preventing floodback to your compressor(slugging).
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Thanks. This is installed at and outside the coil? Rough cost for part for 5T?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in