Goodman VS Armstrong

Goodman VS Armstrong

Dear experts,

We need a new AC in our home, and have a few questions for those of you who know about these things.

1) Our unit takes R22, is 3-ton and has A-coil. The salesman we spoke to gave us quotes on two units: an Armstrong with a 5-year warranty; and a Goodman. Any ideas about which is better (Armstrong or Goodman)?

2) Yet another salesman told me that Goodman has a bad reputation as the cheapest unit you can get. What say you?

3) We've been told that R22 is on its way out and will be obsolete in a couple of years. Salesmen tell us that Puron is the way to go. Any ideas on this?

Thanks so much!
    Athensanna

Quote Originally Posted by Athensanna View Post
    Dear experts,

We need a new AC in our home, and have a few questions for those of you who know about these things.

1) Our unit takes R22, is 3-ton and has A-coil. The salesman we spoke to gave us quotes on two units: an Armstrong with a 5-year warranty; and a Goodman. Any ideas about which is better (Armstrong or Goodman)?
    http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Home/Warra...4/Default.aspx

I would get at least 3 quotes maybe more if you don't find three good installers with different quotes. Also have them do a Manual J and D to make sure they size the system perfectly for your needs. Oversizing is bad and undersizing is bad for efficiency.

2) Yet another salesman told me that Goodman has a bad reputation as the cheapest unit you can get. What say you?
    All matching systems are certified by ARI that includes Goodman. They are fine and stand behind there product just make sure you use a knowledgeable company to install your system.
    http://www.aridirectory.org/

3) We've been told that R22 is on its way out and will be obsolete in a couple of years. Salesmen tell us that Puron is the way to go. Any ideas on this?

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/phas...wners_faq.html
    Which system you want will determine which ref. you should go with. Higher SEER systems are using 410A. 410A is at higher pressures in the system and cost a little more.

Goodman vs. Armstrong

No matter what company or equipment you select, the installing company should be able to present you with their load calculations. Upon completion of the installation, they should be able to present you with an ARI certificate displaying the model number of the indoor and outdoor units and showing them as matched to provide the SEER rating on the form.

Deciding which piece of equipment is better is like asking for any other opinion. Everybody has one. Goodman used to be the cheapest because they provided basic equipment, no bells, no whistles, light weight sheet metal. But giving the Devil his due, their equipment lasted just as long as anyone elses when, and I emphasize this, WHEN INSTALLED PROPERLY. Now Goodman has undergone a major uplift over the last couple of years. They purchased Amana, which was always a high end company. Personally I thought Amana was going to go down the tubes but just the opposite happened. Goodman took the Amana products, reverse engineered them and brought their products up to much higher standard. Now Goodman offers 13 to 16-SEER AC units, 80-95% 1 and 2-stage gas furnaces and the longest warranties in the industry. They also offer both R-22 and R-410A equipment. So the right answer to your question is, can the contractor substantiate his/her claim to the proper size of the equipment to be installed. After that, I'd go on the reputation of the installing company, what their company warranties are and whether you're comfortable with them or not.

Thank you to all of you for your time and expert advice! I've taken notes on all that you've said and plan to grill the three companies coming today to give us free estimates !
    Anna

Your location is also a factor. Is it Athens Georgia? If you're in a humid climate, a 2 stage system can really help you. Read this thread...

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=135936

The best install is the key, Goodman has a great warranty, and nothing wrong with an Armstrong either.
    Last edited by smokin68; 06-11-2007 at 12:04 PM.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.