Need advice/shaky contractor

Hope to get some advice here-kind of a strange story...

1999-Had Rheem system installed. Had issues with it after about 2 months. Very loud on start-up.Contractor came out, said freon could be migrating to compressor which could be causing loud start-up. 3 months later, still loud when unit cycled on, so called them out again and they installed a hard start kit to see if it helped the noise. It did a little.

One year later, still couldn't find why it was so loud on start-up, whenever they came out, the noise couldn't be duplicated.

3yrs after that, system wasn't cooling so out they came again, noted system was low on freon, located possible leak at the high pressure valve, charged with 6.5lbs of R22.

Last year, called them out again because system was not cooling, contractor out of business. Called another contractor in the area, he thought I had a blocked line and proceeded to clean it out then charge w/freon. I asked him to please check the condenser with his leak detector just to make sure and guess what? It beeped like crazy inside the coil. He then wanted to sell me a whole new system but I elected to wait on it because the summer was almost over and I figured I could get a better deal in the winter.

Now comes the interesting part...

Low and behold, as I'm contemplating trying to find someone to repair the leak this past Feb., I get a flier in the mail from a HVAC Co. with the exact logo from the guys who installed the unit with the name slightly changed. So I called the number and get THE GUY WHO SOLD ME THE ORIGINAL SYSTEM.
    He remembered me and where I lived. He told me he had sold the business and the guy who bought it had run it into the ground. He offered to come out and take a look at the system, no charge. He said he wanted to get his old customers back and take care of business. So he comes out, finds the leak and said he thought he could repair it. He said the unit probably should have been fixed under warranty and he wanted to make it right. So he cuts a bunch of fins out to get to the leak and punctures about 6 more holes in the process. He told me "don't worry, if I can't fix this I'll replace it no charge to you".

That was in February.

In May, I found the insurance co. where he has his bond and sent for paperwork to file a claim. I found his email through kudzu and notified him what I was doing. I gave him the opportunity to replace the unit or I was going to have the system replaced and try and get his bond to cover it. He contacted me and told me there was no need for that, he would bring out a new unit that week. (3 weeks ago). Still nothing. I finally got a hold of him this week and he said he has no cash flow and as soon as the weather gets hot, he'll be able to shell out the money for a new unit.

I'm getting 3 bids from contractors and wondering do you experts out there think I've got a chance on collecting from his bond? The botched attempted repair wasn't invoiced as it was no charge. I do feel the coil may have been fixable before he screwed it up beyond repair.

Thanks for any help and sorry about the long post...

idk......1999 i doubt there is still a warranty on the condenser coil. he might have been blowing a little smoke up your ass just trying to get you back as a customer. then when he wasn't able to fix it, well he's hoping you'll probably give up on it.

Probaly cost you more to get his bond to cover it, then what you'll get.

Its out of warranty, ran out in 04.

You'd be better off with a new system.

Yours has been open to the atmosphere too long, and its not going to be any quiter then it was before.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

is it still leaking freon?

This is your wake up call:

Stop dreaming about this loser -- get a new co, one that's been in business for 20+ yrs, get it replaced.

Go fishing w/ your kids.

this unit will nickle and dine you to death.
    the warrenty is over so i dont think you'll get any collections so save your money on this unit and get a new one from another co.
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Thanks for the reply guys-

This has nothing to do with the warranty at this point.

Not planning on having the system fixed. It's beyond repair and there is no freon left in the system.

My question was do you think I have a chance on getting his bond to cover a replacement unit due to his incompetent attempted repair. He basically ruined a unit that may have been reparable.

Beenthere-
    I don't think there would be any cost involved in filing a claim with the bond co.

i would file the claim. shouldn't cost you any more than time (and your post was organized enough already that you can pretty much attach it right to a form) and it might make you feel better. just have no expectations b/c the bond co. is less excited than anyone about paying for anything

then i would subscibe this deadbeat to about a dozen subscriptions and order him a bunch of crap cash on delivery

Quote Originally Posted by meathead1 View Post
    yada...yada...yada....I'm getting 3 bids from contractors and wondering do you experts out there think I've got a chance on collecting from his bond? The botched attempted repair wasn't invoiced as it was no charge. I do feel the coil may have been fixable before he screwed it up beyond repair.
    No, I don't believe the bonding company will pay your claim......certainly not BEFORE all of his assets have been exhausted.

Hey, we can't help it if he didn't charge you enough!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ibnsurance companies don't like to pay out.
    So it may take a lawyer to get anything.
    The insurance company can fall back on, you just need the coi replaced.
    And just pay for the coil, not the labor or r22, LLFD.

Technically the unit is not ruined. Its still repairable. I would recomend against it, since its been open so long. But the insurance company will want to cut their loses, so the will just pay for the coil.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?