Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: day temps?

day temps?

hey all, i just had my heil dx 1400 5 ton unit installed here in ny where it was a very humid 90 degree day. the house went down to 70 with no problem. it was about 78 before the unit was run, and i say in about 2 hrs is was at 70. i think 70 will be my night, and at home temp. now while we are away at work during the day what is the best temp to set the thermostat at? is 76 too high? again i will go for 70 from 5 pm till about 8 am, and it will stay at 70 for most of the weekend as we are home, but i am unsure what the optimum temp to set for when the house is not occupied by the family. thanks for the help. by the way the unit is great, very good looking, and very quiet, more so than i thought.

I wouldn't bump it up more than a few degrees. The higher the temps go the more moisture the air can hold. I wouldn't go to crazy raising the temps cause when you come home and turn it down to your desired temp it runs the whole time till it gets there. removing moisture will make it take longer. Otherwise it runs for 15 or so minutes at a time and keeps the moisture low so it doesn't run forever trying to satisfy the thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    I wouldn't bump it up more than a few degrees. The higher the temps go the more moisture the air can hold. I wouldn't go to crazy raising the temps cause when you come home and turn it down to your desired temp it runs the whole time till it gets there. removing moisture will make it take longer. Otherwise it runs for 15 or so minutes at a time and keeps the moisture low so it doesn't run forever trying to satisfy the thermostat.
    so is 76 too much to raise it? what can i get away with and keep humidity down?

Where are you located? Do you normally have really high humidity levels?

It's not really a easy answer. Some systems remove humidity so well that 76 is cold to some. Others do just well enough to make 70ºF with 50% RH feel comfortable. Is your system a variable speed system multi speed or one speed?
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-08-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Where are you located? Do you normally have really high humidity levels?

It's not really a easy answer. Some systems remove humidity so well that 76 is cold to some. Others do just well enough to make 70ºF with 50% RH feel comfortable. Is your system a variable speed system multi speed or one speed?
    i have a variable speed (2 speeds i think)first company 5 ton hydro unit, and a 5 ton 14 seer heil dx series condenser. i live in upstae ny, an hr from ny city. we have our share of humid days, like today, but overall it is pretty moderate i would say.

Well I'm fighting with answering you because I can't explain it easily I don't want to guide you in the wrong direction.

Someone else can chime in and make it easier I think than I could I can really only explain from the psychrometric chart which you would have to have a basic idea of to know.

play

what suits U, might not me --

Is it time to use a/c yet?
    my office got to 84F Th
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

If it dropped the temp in teh house 8 degrees in an hour when it was 90 outside.
    You might want to get some hydrotherms. And check your RH%.

If its oversized, you'll be setting your stat lower yet when its 78 outide.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I would think if you have a variable speed system humidity shouldn't be an issue if it's hooked up and working as it should. When it's hot out your system may run all day on low speed and only kick into high when needed. With very low humidity 45% or below 75F Feels cold to many people I have talk with. I would verify that your system is actually two speed and everything is running as it should maybe get a little cheaper hygrometer to keep an eye on humidity levels. What thermostat do you have?

He doesn't know what he has.
    He said its variable(2 speed) he thinks.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

5 tons? How large is your house?

Eight degree pulldown in two hours...that sounds like a lot of capacity...maybe too much? At your 70 degree setting, how is the humidity in your home?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    5 tons? How large is your house?

Eight degree pulldown in two hours...that sounds like a lot of capacity...maybe too much? At your 70 degree setting, how is the humidity in your home?
    the humidity feels low to me. 70 feels cold. nicce and cold to me, too cold for the wife. the house is 2500 sq ft with 9 ft ceilings. it is oversized a bit because i am going to finish the basement a little later. at 70 degrees it feels cold and dry in the house. i is humid today, and about 82. the system seems to be working nice. i have no issue with leaving it set at 70, but i was just wondering if i would save a decent ammount of $ if i brought it to 76 for the day temp when we are not here. the pulldown was about 2.5 hrs, but the unit was also started up at 330 when the temp was also climbing down.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    He doesn't know what he has.
    He said its variable(2 speed) he thinks.
    i do know it is variable just not sure how many speeds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast