Excessive Vibration Problems

I had a call on an American Standard GasPack 4 ton package unit. The unit was manufactured in 99. I found the unit had no freeon in it. I put nitrogen in it and leak checked it and found a crack between the 1/2 inch discharge line and a 1/4 inch line. After repairing it and evac and recharging the unit I noticed very excessive amounts of vibration in the unit. I changed the blower wheel and the evap side of the unit had much less vibration, so I went on my merry way. Three days later I had a call back on the unit, no freeon again. This time I found a leak on the high side schrader valve line inside of the cabinet. I repaired it, and rubberized the condenser fan connections on the unit totally isolating it. When I started up the unit I noticed the exhaust line still has an agressive vibration to it. The compressor was just changed out 11 months ago. Is there a possibility that the exhaust valve is bad or bent or something causing the vibration? If it is, is their something I can do to brace the exhaust line with metal and rubber to reduce the vibration to tollerable limits without changing out the compressor? This is my first major vibration problem and I could really use some help. One friend mentioned a stethescope as a tool? Is anybody out there? Help!

Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark M.
    Last edited by Mark Manlove; 06-08-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add more information: The compressor body doesn't move and the suction line has no vibration, just the exhaust line vibrates

Check ALL the mounting bolts for the blower, cond fan and compressor. Then check the base of the entire system, then check to make sure the unit is sitting correctly on it's curb. What does the system do when only the blower fan is running versus when the compressor and cond fan are running? You csn also isolate the cond fan and make it run by itself. You should be able to figure out where the vibration is coming from by doing this.

Thank's for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by makinmoney View Post
    Check ALL the mounting bolts for the blower, cond fan and compressor. Then check the base of the entire system, then check to make sure the unit is sitting correctly on it's curb. What does the system do when only the blower fan is running versus when the compressor and cond fan are running? You csn also isolate the cond fan and make it run by itself. You should be able to figure out where the vibration is coming from by doing this.
    I will try all of the advice that you gave me. Thanks again.