Hmm kairak reach in will not stop freezing up

I have been working on a kairak model # ke110ht reach in med temp r404. first day found the controller reading 124 and it is like half way mounted on the system. found both evaps frozen so I thawed them out. installed some line taps after I confirmed that my evap fans were on and that the system was clean. on start up I found no problems with my pressures but with in 5 mins my evaps we frosting up. don't know if the controller that is reading 124 is at found or if I have txv problems. I have had this problem on systems with exv's that were all the way open and not adjusting due to control problems. kinda stumped on this one. also could I have a temp sensor problem but if so why am I freezing up

This will get more responses in the tech to tech refrigeration section, I'll ask a moderator to move it there. Welcome to the site!

OK so as most people probably already know, the new Kariak equipment stands use a Traulsen controller and a sealed refrigeration system. I think this is what you have since you added line taps to check pressures. (The old Kairaks used Copeland condensing units that already had receivers and suction service valves, so you wouldn't have needed to add line taps.)

If I am correct and you have this new style of Kairak unit that is really a Traulsen, you have evaporators that can only be accessed from back of box, and you have the standard Traulsen probes: Green probe for cabinet temp, and Blue probe for coil temp. You have a small horizontal rectangular controller resembling a Dixell controller (This is the Traulsen controller that has the CUS and ENG access levels)

If I am correct and you have this newer style box, with the temp reading 124, you likely have a bad Cabinet Probe (The green probe). Replacement is straightforward.

As with all Traulsen controllers, check settings. Setpoint, Setpoint Differential, Defrost Interval, Coil at Defrost End, Max Defrost, etc. If this controller has the new ENE energy efficiency menu, make sure the evaporator fans are set to run 100% (Fan Duty Cycle FDC). You will need to get the password to the ENE menu from Traulsen. But if I recall correctly, the Equipment Stands do not cycle the evaporator fans anyways, so it should probably already be set to 100%. But obviously, if the cabinet probe is reading 124, the unit will never cycle off, so the problem is pretty obvious. Replace cabinet probe and all will likely be well.

If this is an old style Kairak with a Ranco ETC and defrost timer and Copeland Condensing Unit, then you shouldn't need any help. Change ETC or the ETC+probe, confirm charge is correct, confirm defrost timer operational. Easy money there.

Quote Originally Posted by trippintl0 View Post
    OK so as most people probably already know, the new Kariak equipment stands use a Traulsen controller and a sealed refrigeration system. I think this is what you have since you added line taps to check pressures. (The old Kairaks used Copeland condensing units that already had receivers and suction service valves, so you wouldn't have needed to add line taps.)

If I am correct and you have this new style of Kairak unit that is really a Traulsen, you have evaporators that can only be accessed from back of box, and you have the standard Traulsen probes: Green probe for cabinet temp, and Blue probe for coil temp. You have a small horizontal rectangular controller resembling a Dixell controller (This is the Traulsen controller that has the CUS and ENG access levels)

If I am correct and you have this newer style box, with the temp reading 124, you likely have a bad Cabinet Probe (The green probe). Replacement is straightforward.

As with all Traulsen controllers, check settings. Setpoint, Setpoint Differential, Defrost Interval, Coil at Defrost End, Max Defrost, etc. If this controller has the new ENE energy efficiency menu, make sure the evaporator fans are set to run 100% (Fan Duty Cycle FDC). You will need to get the password to the ENE menu from Traulsen. But if I recall correctly, the Equipment Stands do not cycle the evaporator fans anyways, so it should probably already be set to 100%. But obviously, if the cabinet probe is reading 124, the unit will never cycle off, so the problem is pretty obvious. Replace cabinet probe and all will likely be well.

If this is an old style Kairak with a Ranco ETC and defrost timer and Copeland Condensing Unit, then you shouldn't need any help. Change ETC or the ETC+probe, confirm charge is correct, confirm defrost timer operational. Easy money there.
    Give me a CCI control and cap tube. Lasted for years!

eng = 99E

thanks, it will take a few days to get to know the site. thanks for the advise.

yes it is the new style kariak like the traulsen. and does have that controller. the controller is half way pulled apart from itself like someone pulled the front panel off and had the controller binded up in it and that is what pulled it apart. so I cant check any setting like the fdc and set points ext. so I will change the controller and the probe. at that point I will be able to find out about the fdc because of the short run time before freezing. also I have one more questions I did not take the panel off of the evaps do you thing I have two txvs inside or one. the short run time before it starts freezing makes me think it have a metering problem. and thanks again for you time.

Typically the ones I have seen have a cap tube wrapped around suction line of each evaporator; the cap tube is the metering device. Once you replace controller and probes probably don't need to mess with the other settings I told you about. Those are in case it still freezes when everything is working. If something is broken, fix that first before trying to alter factory settings.

Also if you used a piercing line tap to access suction line, you should pinch off line, cut it off and braze line shut once you are done. If not you'll prob. be back in 6 months due to low on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by treetop863 View Post
    yes it is the new style kariak like the traulsen. and does have that controller. the controller is half way pulled apart from itself like someone pulled the front panel off and had the controller binded up in it and that is what pulled it apart. so I cant check any setting like the fdc and set points ext. so I will change the controller and the probe. at that point I will be able to find out about the fdc because of the short run time before freezing. also I have one more questions I did not take the panel off of the evaps do you thing I have two txvs inside or one. the short run time before it starts freezing makes me think it have a metering problem. and thanks again for you time.

thanks. I ordered the parts today. so you think it is a cap tube system. I will dig for the metering device when the poarts arrive if I still have a freezing issue. I thank you for your time and help. and I did remove the line taps. after you mess up once it wont happen again. I found that out early on with the line taps. the reason I even put one on was due to the run time before it started freezing. it so seemed like a metering problem.