Question Hvac ratings site?

I was just wondering if there was a site which posted ratings of hvac systems by brand and models. I tried looking on Consumerreports.com as well as epinions.com but found little information that was helpful. A site that is reputable and non-bias would be awesome. Thanks for reading this, I appreciate any help that anyone could offer!

Quote Originally Posted by BradyH85 View Post
    I was just wondering if there was a site which posted ratings of hvac systems by brand and models.

Yes, there is.
    http://www.aridirectory.org/

Jabs

BradyH85, I hate to say it but you are asking the wrong question IMO. The fallacy is that the brand has some big difference which makes it better, such as Lexus/Toyota in the car department. The reason you can sometimes compare brands, is valid when you have a reasonable guarantee that all other factors are equal at least to the point of being comparable. This is true of appliances. But a central HVAC system is not an appliance, it is both more and less than that.

In the AC field, installation is a custom thing and with current machinery it cannot be otherwise. A lousy installation can make any brand good, and no brand can make something good out of a lousy install. Regrettably, perhaps tragically, you have to shop for a good install and compared to that, the brand makes very little difference. If this were truly an appliance you could shop for brands and it would be meaningful, but it's really IMO a custom engineering job almost every time.

There are pros from this board, from whom I would buy any brand if that is what they wanted to work with. It happens my brand is Trane and they have some nice features, but it is hard to find distinctive features until you get to the really high end models.

That in a nutshell is why Epinions or Consumer Reports is not useful for your question. I am a homeowner not a pro, so discount my opinion appropriately.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

This is exactly what I don't like about installers. From what I gather here, the installer is the most important part. If you're new to the area, there aren't any unbiased resources that you can check to get an overall view of the companies installing "x" product. The BBB is an option, but it doesn't give a view of "successful" versus "problems" and being listed is basically voluntary anyway.

On the Internet, you can usually get a ranking of web merchants or rankings of people like eBay sellers, but it's almost a shot in the dark for residential HVAC. I wish someone would set up a website where people can list companies, degree of satisfaction, models, and even long-term info as well as personal comments. That would be helpful to newbies like me to get an overall view.

The installer is the most important part. Take a great piece of equipment, have a Hackmetologist install it and you have nothing better than a worthless pile of troublesome scrap.

Take the unit that everyone here loves to hate, have it installed perfectly to the manufacturers installation instructions and you will have a system that will work fine for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabarco View Post
    I'm trying to find the ratings for a specific Trane combination, but have had no luck.

Outdoor #...4TWX4036A (3-ton Trane XL14i heat pump)
    Indoor #.....4TEE3F37A (Trane VS air handler)

Apparently they don't have the latest data for my specific outdoor unit.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPressure View Post
    I'm trying to find the ratings for a specific Trane combination, but have had no luck.

http://www.aridirectory.org/ari/hp_search.php

ARI ref # 547636

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    ARI ref # 547636
    Thanks, BigJon. I saw that reference # during my searching, but figured it didn't apply to my hardware. The outside model # doesn't match exactly, and that model status and ARI certificate is listed as "discontinued."

My sales guy told me my system was good for higher SEER and HSPF rating than that rating shows.

Go to http://www.aridirectory.org/ari/hp.php and try again, except drop the "A" at the end of the model numbers.

Jabs

Thanks, BigJon. I saw that reference # during my searching, but figured it didn't apply to my hardware. The outside model # doesn't match exactly, and that model status and ARI certificate is listed as "discontinued."

My sales guy told me my system was good for higher SEER and HSPF rating than that rating shows.

This might be why your sales guy said what he said.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jabarco View Post
    This might be why your sales guy said what he said.
    Interesting! I bet you're right. That document is even more confusing as it doesn't list either of my units!

Oh well...maybe my dealer can give me an ARI #. I emailed Trane several days ago and haven't received a reply.

Wow! Has the new AOP rules been dropped?