Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sears heating and cooling

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy-lvhm View Post
    Or get a freakin home equity loan!! We all know financing is great but the cost is added in on the price for the financing. Its kind of common knowledge. If the customer can get a home equity load they would be better off and can write off the interest.

Your exactly right. They bill me 7% of the sale when I do a 12 months same as cash. Of course I pass that on to the customer.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac hero View Post
    Your exactly right. They bill me 7% of the sale when I do a 12 months same as cash. Of course I pass that on to the customer.
    Yeah some of the programs are up to 10-14% extra that I have seen
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
    Would like some expert opinions about contracting sears
    Is that Sears or Sears
    Last edited by itsiceman; 02-13-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy-lvhm View Post
    Or get a freakin home equity loan!! We all know financing is great but the cost is added in on the price for the financing. Its kind of common knowledge. If the customer can get a home equity load they would be better off and can write off the interest.
    My HEL just went up three points on the first of November.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    My HEL just went up three points on the first of November.
    Convert your line of credit to a straight loan then. I just got 7.75 on a line of credit. The markup on financing through these companies is at least 7% so even if your a point or 2 higher you can at least write off the interest.
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Post Likes
    i have serviced a few units installed by sears they were carrier the last one was a infinity i was not impressed no high pipe, no low pipe, no permit not sealed properly very poor installation owner stated install price ( i will not say ) house rules but much higher than market price

Post Likes

Talked to sears

We have 2 split systems. One for upstairs. One for downstairs. Gas heating (propane). Sears came out and priced the two split systems for us. They were very diligent. Spent about 45 minutes measuring and bidding, then about 45 minutes scaring us (see below), then about 45 minutes trying to get us to sign on the dotted line because "prices are going up tomorrow."

Their first trip was for Carrier equipment (17 seer - including intake air cleaners, etc). The price blew me away. I wasn't prepared to ask myself, "pool or hvac?" The second trip was for Payne systems (13 seer). Price was about 25% less, but still 40% more than what we were anticipating. I priced comparable Payne equipment at retail prices, and the Sears price (obviously including install, guarantees, etc.) was still about 3x the price of the equipment. Not sure if that's reasonable or not, but not for me.

The installs are pretty basic. One is in outside closet - easy access w/ condensor just a few feet away. One has furnace in the attic w/ condenser outside. All duct work is high quality - no upgrades there.

It's a hard sales pitch, and they cover all the bases (be afraid of the local guys, be afraid of guarantees from anyone who hasn't been in business for 100 years, be afraid of bad workmanship, be afraid...). I'm not much for the "be afraid" thing.

It's tempting with the 1 yr 0% interest, but, if I want to borrow for the system, I'm better off borrowing for the actual price of the system (7.5% from my credit union), rather than repaying Sears in a year with credit card debt at 14%. I tell you, if Sears actually offered reasonable financing, their market share would increase substantially. Cheers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm View Post
    We have 2 split systems. One for upstairs. One for downstairs. Gas heating (propane). Sears came out and priced the two split systems for us. They were very diligent. Spent about 45 minutes measuring and bidding, then about 45 minutes scaring us (see below), then about 45 minutes trying to get us to sign on the dotted line because "prices are going up tomorrow."

Their first trip was for Carrier equipment (17 seer - including intake air cleaners, etc). The price blew me away. I wasn't prepared to ask myself, "pool or hvac?" The second trip was for Payne systems (13 seer). Price was about 25% less, but still 40% more than what we were anticipating. I priced comparable Payne equipment at retail prices, and the Sears price (obviously including install, guarantees, etc.) was still about 3x the price of the equipment. Not sure if that's reasonable or not, but not for me.

The installs are pretty basic. One is in outside closet - easy access w/ condensor just a few feet away. One has furnace in the attic w/ condenser outside. All duct work is high quality - no upgrades there.

It's a hard sales pitch, and they cover all the bases (be afraid of the local guys, be afraid of guarantees from anyone who hasn't been in business for 100 years, be afraid of bad workmanship, be afraid...). I'm not much for the "be afraid" thing.

It's tempting with the 1 yr 0% interest, but, if I want to borrow for the system, I'm better off borrowing for the actual price of the system (7.5% from my credit union), rather than repaying Sears in a year with credit card debt at 14%. I tell you, if Sears actually offered reasonable financing, their market share would increase substantially. Cheers.
    I hear you, I don't think we have ever lost a job to them. I've always found it interesting they can't be compeitive in this industry. Most contractors can get you 12 months anytime. some way longer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm View Post

Ive heard they use the same sales tactics on windows and other things as well. It's bad enough carrier allows all these hacks out there to sell their name and now we have sears promoting it as well. It's just as bad as home depot peddling trane now.

Post Likes
    Then they go out and get low-ball hacks to install their stuff. That I'd be afraid of.

Atleast around here.

Post Likes

Sears HVAC put your sneakers on and run!

They hire the cheapest sub(s) to put their systems in. Usually a ductopuss, a presure box with 6 inch flex running all over the place. No secodary drain pan. Uninspected electrical work. Permits are very rarely ever pulled unless they get caught by a BI or tradesman.

The techs that repair it for sears work on refrigartors, freezers, window air conditioners and dehumidifiers. Seldom have the part to fix it, but will sell you a protection agreement and a water filter for your ref.

http://Ripoffreport.com and http://sears.pissedconsumer.com/ and see what Sears customers have to say.
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Post Likes
    Sears is like the local gas company, they do not employ certified technicians, thus they have to sub-contract everything accept appliance fixing to professionals. You are always better off dealing directly with a professional.

Financing is best done by a banker. Again Sears has to farm this out as they are retail clerks not bankers. Deal directly with your banker.

MA

Post Likes

bad salesman

I had a Sears guy out to give me a quote for new HVAC. I called them due to the fact they are a Carrier dealer. Salesman didn't do ANY measurements, just looked at sizes of existing equipment and asked "How's that working out for you?"

We did the sit down at the kitchen table thing next. He pulls out his binder, and starts selling me on Sears being in business 100 years, that Sears will always be there, etc. Tells me that Carrier is too expensive, and to buy Kenmore because "they are all pretty much the same" THEN, he says are you prepared to spend 10,000? (This is a reflection on technique, not price info) He hadn't given me any specs of the size/features of the Kenmore units. He didn't give me a breakdown of $X for Furnace, $x for AC. No talk of R22 or 410A. No talk of SEER or high efficiency. Just, "are you prepared to spend $x."

Fortunately, I was only getting a quote from them to compare another Carrier quote, and to compare recommendations, and didn't plan on using them. Maybe I had a bad salesman, but I can't see how they get many jobs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebear View Post
    I had a Sears guy out to give me a quote for new HVAC. I called them due to the fact they are a Carrier dealer. Salesman didn't do ANY measurements, just looked at sizes of existing equipment and asked "How's that working out for you?"

We did the sit down at the kitchen table thing next. He pulls out his binder, and starts selling me on Sears being in business 100 years, that Sears will always be there, etc. Tells me that Carrier is too expensive, and to buy Kenmore because "they are all pretty much the same" THEN, he says are you prepared to spend 10,000? (This is a reflection on technique, not price info) He hadn't given me any specs of the size/features of the Kenmore units. He didn't give me a breakdown of $X for Furnace, $x for AC. No talk of R22 or 410A. No talk of SEER or high efficiency. Just, "are you prepared to spend $x."

Fortunately, I was only getting a quote from them to compare another Carrier quote, and to compare recommendations, and didn't plan on using them. Maybe I had a bad salesman, but I can't see how they get many jobs.

They get jobs because alot of homeowners don't know any better. Or they think they are getting a deal because they can charge it on their sears card.

Post Likes
    Sears does not pay their subcontractors enough money to do the jobs correctly. If you installed the system with out cutting corners somewhere you would lose money on every job you do for Sears. That is why most Sears jobs are hacked in. Either the contractor could not do it correctly without losing money or is a hack that doesn't know how to do it correctly. Which I guess is the same thing.

Get an estimate from a local contractor. As far as ICP/tempstar/Heil/Kenmore equipment goes there is nothing wrong with it. It is as good as anything else on the market.
    I had a Sears salesman tell me once if he goes to the customers house and sees Kenmore appliances he jacks the price up more because they know they are loyal Sears buyers.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=dngtig;1683102]Sears does not pay their subcontractors enough money to do the jobs correctly. If you installed the system with out cutting corners somewhere you would lose money on every job you do for Sears. That is why most Sears jobs are hacked in. Either the contractor could not do it correctly without losing money or is a hack that doesn't know how to do it correctly. Which I guess is the same thing.
    QUOTE]

Thats no excuse. I was doing sub work for a local hearth store and we lost money on jobs (or didn't make as much as we should I guess) but I didn't HACK any jobs in or do things that would be dangerous or unethical. My friend found his air filter between the coil and the blower in his sears install! What's the excuse for that?

Simple fact is that if you sign up for the work and aren't smart enough to get all the info up front or QUIT when they start lowering prices that doesn't excuse you from doing good work. I mean why would you want to as a contractor starting out to end up getting a bad reputation for your work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebear View Post

You had a bad salesman, and/or he picked up that you weren't a real customer and just using him to get a quote to use against someone else.

John

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OlManRivah View Post
    Sure, why not......

!) Sears will back the installation no matter who the Contractor is
    2) Easy financing without a home loan.
    3) Great Maintenance Agreements
    4) Always available for service calls
    5) Don't have to worry about your Contractor going out of business, no technician available, weekends, losing contract with your equipment, etc.
    6) They assign a project coordinator...your one contact.

Beware: I'm not a HVAC pro....just a homeowner. I am a licensed Contractor and no, I don't do Sears jobs...........
    I have done service calls on new sears installs due to the fact they could not get out for a repair for over a week,
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    I am a subcontractor for sears and I have not had any problems with them. They send forms to you the customer after the job is done for you to rate the installer performance. If your not happy you have your chance to tell them. If company gets to many bad reports they won't use them. I have gone back on a few jobs on other contractors to fix problems either contractor screwed up or they were there several times and could not resolve problem. But most of the calls were pretty simple. I get high ratings from sears customers and like I said never had problem with them and so far good to work with. Not saying theydon't have bad sub contractors but all is not bad.

Post Likes

Pro Buissness and marketing

You guys want to know the facts about SEARS lets do it in the pro section were we can talk freely! I've worked directly for them for a year after one year I could not take it any more people being rip-off by them!

Pro Buissness and marketing see you there
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in