Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Sears heating and cooling

Would like some expert opinions about contracting sears for a furnace job 12 months same as cash do they hire contractors or do they work for sears exclusively? What type of units do they use and are they high quality. I know installation is the key should I even consider them.
    thanks again

They generally use sub contrators.

I'm not sure whose brand they are selling these days.

Many contractors have 12 month same as cash financing availiable.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

it's hit or miss with sears, usually miss. They outsource to contractors you could probably find yourself. If you need to finance, try a home equity loan through your bank, most of those same-as-cash deals have ways of kicking you in the nuts if even one payment is late. Best deal is to find the contractor that will do the job properly. Saving a little money now can cost you a boatload of dollars in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-the-man View Post
    They outsource to contractors you could probably find yourself.
    Often to the contractors you really don't want to find.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
    I know installation is the key should I even consider them.
    thanks again
    Sure, why not......

!) Sears will back the installation no matter who the Contractor is
    2) Easy financing without a home loan.
    3) Great Maintenance Agreements
    4) Always available for service calls
    5) Don't have to worry about your Contractor going out of business, no technician available, weekends, losing contract with your equipment, etc.
    6) They assign a project coordinator...your one contact.

Beware: I'm not a HVAC pro....just a homeowner. I am a licensed Contractor and no, I don't do Sears jobs...........

Just like Kenmore appliances, Sears rebadges other brands as their own. Last I knew they were rebadging ICP units. (Tempstar, comfortmaker, heil.) They could rebadge other brands as well, also possible they got a better deal from another mfg. I Think they also sell Carrier units.

It all depends on who they contract out to do the work. Your basically paying a middle man to pay another company to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by jasruby79 View Post
    Just like Kenmore appliances, Sears rebadges other brands as their own. Last I knew they were rebadging ICP units. (Tempstar, comfortmaker, heil.) They could rebadge other brands as well, also possible they got a better deal from another mfg. I Think they also sell Carrier units.
    I just had a rep in to give me a quote and he claimed the kenmore's are rebadged carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimchic View Post
    I just had a rep in to give me a quote and he claimed the kenmore's are rebadged carriers.
    Really I don't think so I didn't think Carrier allowed that..........and Kenmore is what ICP.....

Hey Sears does siding,windows, roofs, white goods and lingerie too, man their good.......

I thought Kenmore was a Nordyne product these days.

And Sears isn't as quick to come out to repair your A/C s you might think.

You'll wait acouple days for service, since they're guys work on both small appliamces and central A/C's.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

sears

Hello

i used to work for a compant that did sub contract for sears... Those job are crazy... Old system r-22 then they want you to run a new line set that you cannot even get to for a new 410 system... Units are airco / then you just switch the name plate on the unit with a kenmore... Sears equipment sucks..

I still run into the green plastic with fake wood trim, horseshoe shaped units from Sears. Who made those?

That was long ago, as of today I would not recommend a Sears install. Not only are cheap things getting cheaper, but the low men on the totem pole are going to be installing.

Do yourself a favor and find a quality contractor. Ask how they treat the employees. Is there health insurance, 401(k), etc...........

These are the companies with long term and well paid, educated techs. This is where being thrifty doesn't pay.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
    Would like some expert opinions about contracting sears for a furnace job 12 months same as cash do they hire contractors or do they work for sears exclusively? What type of units do they use and are they high quality. I know installation is the key should I even consider them.
    thanks again
    sears is just the middleman, you will probably pay more due to the fact that sears has to get paid and pay their subcontractor!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast