Thread: Gas lites

Gas lites

Has anyone had and experience working on gas lamps? There is an upscale neighborhood in my area that has all gas lamps and would like to know more about them. I know this isn't a fireplace question, but I figured you guys would be the best source of info.

That is probally the only appliance I have not worked on. I have however disconnected a lot of leaking ones.

What are you looking for?
    The only thing I ever had to replace was a few burnt mantels from kids knocking out the glass and the mantels burning up
    not a whole lot to them
    The ones in my neighborhood burn all the fart gas from the sewage plant downt the road I guess its "to dirty" to refine for cooking purpose
    I as well dont have a ton of experience but am willing to help.
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Thanks guys.........I just saw the "lite" as a way to provide another needed customer service that no one or few others fill. Just hoping that someone else has worked on thede and had something to share with me, online or offline.

XXX-LG Rob

<<Thanks guys.........I just saw the "lite" as a way to provide another needed customer service that no one or few others fill. Just hoping that someone else has worked on thede and had something to share with me, online or offline.

XXX-LG Rob
    >>

There nothing much to most gas lights --- just a gas flame heating the mantle to incandescence.

The downside is that you are going to have to stock the mantles and figure out how to get glass for the lamp. Maitenance on gas valves and repairing leaks may also be needed. The downside is that parts can get corroded and be hard to work with.

I don't see it as an attractive way to make a buck, myself. But what do I know---- I'm retired now.

Incidentally ---you commonly see a couple of pegs extending out from the sides of gas lamps ---- anyone know why?

Seattle Pioneer

The 'pegs' were used to rest the top of a ladder on

Great bit of trivia Pioneer. I understand that those lights will be a pain sometimes, but someone's gotta do it. Maybe I will just take it easy this Summer........ like you Pioneer !!!!

You can have them. We used to get a lot of calls on them. Most are gone now.

<<The 'pegs' were used to rest the top of a ladder on>>

Bingo!

You win the game of gas light trivia. In the good old days, I believe that gas lights were manually lit in the evening and the expensive manufactured gas shut off in the morning. Two service calls every day! Imagine the lamp lighter walking around, carrying his ladder and climbing all those lamp poles every day!

During the gaslight era, I think the light came from a simple gas flame light from heated carbon atoms, like a candle flame. These days the mantles are saturated with rare earths that provide the brilliant light we expect to see from Coleman type lanterns ---far more light from the amount of gas burned.

The gas utility I used to work for promoted the use of gas lights from 1957, when natural gas first became available around here, until the early 1970s. They had a flat rate for coming out to install one or more gas lights, and a flat rate for gas usage which included maintenance on the light, including mantle replacement and replacement of broken gas light glass. The rate was based on burning the light 24/7 ----no daily lighting of the lamps when gas was cheap and labor expensive!

These gas lights were tee-d off the gas service and were unmetered.

In the 1990s, my repairman co-workers and I still got a few gas light repair calls on these old flat rate lights, although the rate had been jacked up pretty high to encourage people to get rid of them.

I saw four or five of these lights at one home ---occupied by a person who was on the Board of Directors for the company.

Lights in a single subdivision are probably all the same, simplifying the parts needed to probably one type of mantle and one type of glass. That would simplify things a lot and might make maintenance of these lights worthwhile.

Seattle Pioneer

So what were the 'pegs' called?

Yup, these gas lights are all the same and they are in one large, expensive subdivision.....this is where pro football player Bruce Smith lives and boxer Sweetpea Whitaker live.

I think I'll do easy things this Summer and work on gas grills........we all know that they never rust and are always clean when we arrive !!!!

Hull (England) railway station used to have them as a secondary lighting system.

Daydreaming one day managed to push the mobile ladder (complete with trays for glass and mantle) off the platform edge, quite a mess on the tracks.

Remember to pre-burn the mantles before lighting the gas.

Paula