Air Quality/MicroBlue™ Coated Fins

Does anyone have experience with either the York or Luxaire air handlers that include factory coated "MicroBlue" coated fins? I have allergies and wondered if the coated fins emit any smell that is different from conventional non-coated fins? Thanks in advance for advice.

Coating indoor coils may help prevent mold/bacteria growth. If you have such a growth on your current non-coated coils, you need to determine the reason.
    As far as a "smell" goes, the evaporator coil should never emit a smell, regardless of the type. If it smells like dirty socks, you have what is actually called "dirty sock syndrome." Coated coils can help, but you need to get to the root of the problem. Start by cleaning the evaporator coil every 6 months with coil-cleaner. This is available from any HVAC supply house. Use a spray bottle and simply spray it on, no rinsing is required. If you still have mold/bacteria growth after cleaning the coil, I recommend consulting a HVAC company with an Indoor Air Quality department that can discover the reasons for microbial growth. I repeat, mold/bacteria growth on a coil is usually a symptom of an underlying problem. Using a coated coil will just cover the symptom, it won't fix the actual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by maura View Post
    Does anyone have experience with either the York or Luxaire air handlers that include factory coated "MicroBlue" coated fins? I have allergies and wondered if the coated fins emit any smell that is different from conventional non-coated fins? Thanks in advance for advice.
    No, not at all! We put them in all the time, even have it in our home.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM