Thread: Broilmaster

Post Likes

Broilmaster

Some years ago I had a Broilmaster grill. It was wonderful. High heat, porcelain coated cooking grates, flavor-saver-rocks, etc. It was built-in and used natural gas.

When I sold that house I was tempted to dig it out and take it but instead I left it. Since then I have had six or eight grilles; Webers, Charbroils, whatever Sears sells, etc. They were all dogshet.

A new Broilmaster is now about $1800. I wanted one very badly but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. So then I saw one for sale on craiglist for $50. A P3 head, which is the top of the line, and in Hunter Green, which is the rarest of the rare. So I e-mailed and e-mailed and heard nothing back.

After about a week I saw another Broilmaster for sale on craigslist for $50. It was a #4 head - one size smaller - but what the hell? So no response, no response, no response from the P3 seller and I arranged to drive the hour to get the #4 head unit. It turned out to be a D4CP (Deluxe 4 Cart Propane) which is the top of the 4-series line. So it comes with two covers and every accessory that Broilmaster sells. So pay the guy, load it all up, and am literally still driving home when my cell rings:

Hi; this is the guy with the P3 Broilmaster for sale.

So, even though it was 1 1/2 hours in the opposite goddamned direction, I went and got that one too. <g>

I put new burners in both of them and converted the P3 to natural gas - and Man they do work great!

My son caught some 200+ lb. tunas last weekend so when we weren't eating it raw we were grilling it rare.

I had a point to make with this story - but whatever it was; I have forgotten it now. <g>

PHM
    ------
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I had a point to make with this story - but whatever it was; I have forgotten it now. <g>

PHM
    ------
    Point well taken. I have four grills. As a self-proclaimed master chef over a grill, if you find another great grill for a cheap price, you're REQUIRED to purchase it. My bragging rights is my $300 Weber Performer (charcoal) grill I picked up at a yard sale for $5. Ten years later and I still use it at least once a week. Gotta natural gas Broil King & a Master Forge LP smoker I use less often. For camping, an Aussie LP grill.

Post Likes
    Sometimes things go right. Good for you Mikey!
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Likes
    Some years ago I had a Broilmaster grill. It was wonderful. High heat, porcelain coated cooking grates, flavor-saver-rocks, etc. It was built-in and used natural gas.

When I sold that house I was tempted to dig it out and take it but instead I left it. Since then I have had six or eight grilles; Webers, Charbroils, whatever Sears sells, etc. They were all dogshet.

A new Broilmaster is now about $1800. I wanted one very badly but I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. So then I saw one for sale on craiglist for $50. A P3 head, which is the top of the line, and in Hunter Green, which is the rarest of the rare. So I e-mailed and e-mailed and heard nothing back.

After about a week I saw another Broilmaster for sale on craigslist for $50. It was a #4 head - one size smaller - but what the hell? So no response, no response, no response from the P3 seller and I arranged to drive the hour to get the #4 head unit. It turned out to be a D4CP (Deluxe 4 Cart Propane) which is the top of the 4-series line. So it comes with two covers and every accessory that Broilmaster sells. So pay the guy, load it all up, and am literally still driving home when my cell rings:

Hi; this is the guy with the P3 Broilmaster for sale.

So, even though it was 1 1/2 hours in the opposite goddamned direction, I went and got that one too. <g>

I put new burners in both of them and converted the P3 to natural gas - and Man they do work great!

My son caught some 200+ lb. tunas last weekend so when we weren't eating it raw we were grilling it rare.

PHM
    ------
    You were going to post directions to your place for the next Tuna cookout. LOL Oh, and this post is worthless without pics.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Post Likes

I'm in paris right now but I'll get some pics then I get back next month

Broilmaster no longer has the green bbq paint available, and hasn't for some years, but I managed to score two cans not too long ago.

I'll get some pics.

That reminds me: the porcelain cooking grate are NLA too - in favor of all-stainless rod grates. Which not only require constant oiling but also give a sloppy quadrillage. The porcelain grates are diamond shapes - pointy top and bottom - so they burn in like a branding iron. I got NOS porcelain grates for the P3 but I'm still looking for them for the D4 head.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    You were going to post directions to your place for the next Tuna cookout. LOL Oh, and this post is worthless without pics.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes

I stumbled across this thread

Broilmaster no longer has the green bbq paint available, and hasn't for some years, but I managed to score two cans not too long ago.

I'll get some pics.

That reminds me: the porcelain cooking grate are NLA too - in favor of all-stainless rod grates. Which not only require constant oiling but also give a sloppy quadrillage. The porcelain grates are diamond shapes - pointy top and bottom - so they burn in like a branding iron. I got NOS porcelain grates for the P3 but I'm still looking for them for the D4 head.

PHM
    ------
    Hi - I stumbled across this thread...
    A couple of weeks ago I stayed at a Timeshare in central VA. There was a brand new Broilmaster grill on the balcony of the unit I was staying in. My first impression - who still makes a gas BBQ that looks like something my late parents had in the 1980's? I assumed this was some no name POS BBQ.
    I used the grill and wow - even heat, easy to use, easy to clean after use and I was impressed. So I "Googled" Broilmaster and lo and behold it is a high quality product.

I have a Napoleon Prestige 750 for summer use and a Weber Genesis S320 as my winter beater.

So I started watching Craigslist and Kijiji for a Broilmaster. Yesterday (less than 2 weeks after I started my hunt) I scooped a P3 Ducks Unlimited NG in pristine condition - estate sale - son of the owner told me his mother paid $1200 CDN for it many many years ago and had used it maybe 10 times. It came with a non OEM cover, grate lifter tool, the ceramic briquettes were still beige coloured, the underside of the lid had no carbon at all and the burner had very little rust - the teak shelves need to be sanded and oiled and the lid need a bit of green touchup - otherwise it's perfect. I paid a whopping $40 CDN.
    I plan on cleaning it up (the little it needs) and restoring it to it's Ducks Unlimited Green Glory.
    I will post some photo's of before and after shortly. (Green High Heat paint is not available here in Canada - I plan on ordering Rustoleum Flat Green High Heat shipped to a hardware store in the US for pick up next time I am in the USA.

Post Likes
    Wow! What a great find! I have a green P-3 on natural gas and black H-4 on propane. Both do a really great steak. In fact; just did some chicken on the P-3 two hours ago. <g>

And . . . . now you can leave yours to your favorite grandson. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by richmondhillguy View Post
    Hi - I stumbled across this thread...
    A couple of weeks ago I stayed at a Timeshare in central VA. There was a brand new Broilmaster grill on the balcony of the unit I was staying in. My first impression - who still makes a gas BBQ that looks like something my late parents had in the 1980's? I assumed this was some no name POS BBQ.
    I used the grill and wow - even heat, easy to use, easy to clean after use and I was impressed. So I "Googled" Broilmaster and lo and behold it is a high quality product.

I have a Napoleon Prestige 750 for summer use and a Weber Genesis S320 as my winter beater.

So I started watching Craigslist and Kijiji for a Broilmaster. Yesterday (less than 2 weeks after I started my hunt) I scooped a P3 Ducks Unlimited NG in pristine condition - estate sale - son of the owner told me his mother paid $1200 CDN for it many many years ago and had used it maybe 10 times. It came with a non OEM cover, grate lifter tool, the ceramic briquettes were still beige coloured, the underside of the lid had no carbon at all and the burner had very little rust - the teak shelves need to be sanded and oiled and the lid need a bit of green touchup - otherwise it's perfect. I paid a whopping $40 CDN.
    I plan on cleaning it up (the little it needs) and restoring it to it's Ducks Unlimited Green Glory.
    I will post some photo's of before and after shortly. (Green High Heat paint is not available here in Canada - I plan on ordering Rustoleum Flat Green High Heat shipped to a hardware store in the US for pick up next time I am in the USA.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Wow! What a great find! I have a green P-3 on natural gas and black H-4 on propane. Both do a really great steak. In fact; just did some chid cken on the P-3 two hours ago. <g>

And . . . . now you can leave yours to your favorite grandson. <g>

PHM
    ------
    I forgot to mention one humorous fact - the BBQ I purchased went through 2 yard sales and another (initial) posting on Kijiji before I spotted it - and nobody was interested in buying it - the owner told me everyone thought it was some old no name POS BBQ from the 1980s that belonged on the curb on garbage day.