CVHE Phase Imbalance

Is there a reason known that will cause a CVHE with U2CP controls will repeatedly shut down on phase imbalance when by all appearances the phases seem to be fine?

Check your CT's

What are the phase reading, leg to leg??

CVHE phase imbalance

Trozum,
    The CT's are wired directly into the starter module. If all the readings on the ct's check out and there is no phase imbalance when the chiller is operational it may be the stater module. Depending on the age of the chiller there were a lot of starter module failures when UCP2 was launched. If you have a factory mounted starter with Cutler switchgear it could the contactors. On older chillers there was a factory problem with the shading rings on the Cutler contactors and some failed earlly while others operated for 10+ years before failing.

Cheers
    Paulh

There is a Potential transformer( you may have three depending on sales order) that checks phase to phase voltage that may cause trouble if there is a loose connection also there are 3 Current tranformers that are wired to the compressor module. Check the resistance. They should all be the same. Check the meg ohms on compressor and phase to phase ohms. You may read phase imballance b/c of amperage imballance 15 percent off of average will trip.

Three currents supplied to the Starter module are monitored for unequal Amp
    draw. An imbalance in the motor amp draw can cause the motor windings to heat up. This protection can not be disabled or removed.

Corrective Action:
    1 Check for defective or incorrect CTs.
    2 Replace Starter module, for possible bad CT input.
    3 Local power company problem.

give us some specs (model Number, ct number, voltage, etc) and we can point you in a better direction. what are your voltages and amperages?
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

Cvhe

Check all the ct"s and pt"s check the starter contacts .Try a themal scan of the starter with the chiller running it could be as simple as a loose starter connection on one of the motor leads. The resistances off the PT's and the CT's should all be fairly close

Did all the above but after comparison readings between UCP2 and handheld meters I believe problem to be in starter module(Circa 1995).
    AMPERAGES and VOLTAGES ARE READING 25 TO 30 % DIFFERENCE BETWEEN METERS AND UCP2.

Thanks for all your replies. The Chiller is a CVHE 056 built in 1987 and retrofitted in 1995(approx) at a local Naval Facility.The readings between actual amperages/voltages and what are displayed on the UCP2 make me believe replacing the starter module is my best bet while coordinating with base power people to "clean up" inxoming power. Thanks for the input, I will pass along results.

Quote Originally Posted by trozum View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. The Chiller is a CVHE 056 built in 1987 and retrofitted in 1995(approx) at a local Naval Facility.The readings between actual amperages/voltages and what are displayed on the UCP2 make me believe replacing the starter module is my best bet while coordinating with base power people to "clean up" inxoming power. Thanks for the input, I will pass along results.
    the only other thing that i would check first, is the "Overload Settings". just to make sure that nothing got changed (or changed itself). make sure the CT's ohm out properly. other than that, a new starter module may be needed.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

CVHE Phase Imbalance

As we say in the Southland,"Preciate Ya"