Thread: power cords

power cords

What are you guys using for power cords on fryers.... I usually just pick up some premade power tool cords of the correct guage. But they don't seem to hold up to the grease. It seems like after a year the insulation is swollen and falling apart.....
    Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Jeep

OEM from the manufacturer is the best. Get a look at what they use (whatever's printed on it) and try to match it. Otherwise, SJOOW and keep 'em short so they may possibly stay off the floor and out from under the casters. Even that doesn't hold up forever though.

Fryer power cords are a testimonial for the necessity of preventative maintenance. I've seen some horrid, hazardous and forgotten mends done to those things by "whoever" did it so they could continue the cooking. All too common are the twisted, knarly masses of swollen black, white & green insulation that once comprised a reputable cord, to now be without the outer cord sheathing that protected them. Occasionally, the black & white gives way to expose wire strands stewing in a puddle of grease on the floor (amongst other 'things') under/behind the frybanks.

Scary stuff back there...

x2 on the SJ cable, SO cable if still available
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

What ive done is when im replacing cords, ill attach a eye bolt to the wall and run the cords though a carabeaner hooked to it

Keeps them off the floor

thanks guys.... kinda what I thought.... grease is a killer!

I do custom restorations on restaurant equipment and beyond, what I see coming in to me is the worst of the worst. I send equipment out with high quality SO cord unless it is to be hardwired. Been doing this for 20 years and I have had the opportunity to re-restore equipment that I did years ago. The SO cord, if good quality (not home depot) holds up well.