Raising Pressure in Commercial HVAC

Hello all,

My company has a commercial space that consists of 2 offices and a conference room, and through a set of doors it opens up into a ~5000 sq ft warehouse space. The warehouse space is only used for around 4 months out of the year, but people work in the offices and conference room year round.

Recently, I've been tasked with evaluating how we can make this set up more energy efficient. There are five registers that dump into the warehouse space and several more that open into the offices and conference room. The thermostat is located in the office space.

My question concerns the rather elementary idea of simply covering/sealing the registers to the warehouse space in the months that we are not occupying this space. Obviously, the system is spec'ed to move the amount of air that fits the load, I know. When I seal these registers, the flow of air out of the still-open ones increases obviously. The pressure in the system goes up.

What I want to know is what sort of damage that can cause to a blower or to an HVAC system on the whole. I want to know what you all think is the best way to make the system work for this odd arrangement with the largest space being used only at certain times in the year. It is very wasteful to cool or heat this whole space when it is not being used, but with only one system, what is the best cost-effective way to lower the utility bills while preserving the functionality of both spaces independently?

Thank you for your time. I hope you all have a great fall!

If you shut off all the vents that supply into the warehouse (not knowing how many or sizes of entire system) you could restrict the air flow and cause the unit to trip out on high limit during heating season. Which may cause failure of the heat exchanger.
    Get a programmable thermostat if you do not already have.
    You would have to add a bypass damper and zone system if you want to separate the offices from the warehouse.

And .......... cutting off the air to the large warehouse in the summer can create an icing condition @ the evaporator due to the loss of air volume.

IMHO, stop any/all exterior air leaks and seal up all of the conditioned spaces ............ you will be taking a large chance by restricting air to the spaces no matter what season ............ you should have had 2 different systems installed instead of one, or a more complex single system with 2 or more zones, and stages for cooling and heating
    Extended dehydration is the key

Put in the proper unit to do the office only!

You may want to get some help with this. Depending on the equipment size and the office area size and load a VVT control system might be in order. It depends on if the equipment can operate with the reduced capacity and bypass or another form of static pressure control. The cost may exceed new equipment for the office area. I think you really should get some help on this because of the factors that have been brought up. Freezing coils in the cooling mode and overheating heat ex in the winter.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    Put in the proper unit to do the office only!
    Best way to do it. However, with it being two offices and a conference room even a 3 ton unit might be too big!