fat little Stalin

so last week me and a guy from my company did an air conditioning install at some lady's house.

this was my first job to be inspected by the city.

as most of you know , i'm no big fan of rip-off companies , like the one i work for.

it was a very expensive job but the lady was happy.
    plus she had to pay for permit and duct test, by law.

so a week later we get a call that the install failed inspection.

?????????

we go to the house after the inspector was there, the lady is all upset, SOMEBODY told her she got ripped-off , told her the job was terrible, and she handed us a big list of reasons why it didn't pass inspection.

she threatened to complain to the company
    (like our company cares)

everything except one on the list was BS, the inspector trumped up charges, and it was obvious he had some kind of problem with the price or a grudge against the company.

i kid you not, the inspector told us to move a wooden attic beam (which wasn't in the way) and told us to flip the unit
    (for no reason ,which wasn't the way the old one was, and meant we would have to completly re-do the ductwork and place the unit in a hard access location)

after the 2nd company PASSED the ductwork.
    the inspector told us HE is NOT PASSING the ductwork, and he's calling the duct testing company out again.

he claims there is visible gaping holes in it, which is not true and impossible since the duct company pressurizes the ducts.

so our boss told us to be nice to the inspector and not piss him off.
    i asked what the chances were to request another inspector and they told me not likely.

HAIL STALIN!

inspectors , forced by law to be paid by the home owner, telling customers they got ripped off, just to make a company look bad.

maybe we should offer him a bribe, and make the country fully corrupt.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would think getting the government involved in every little thing would be good?

you're paying someone for nothing, why would anyone want their lives to be effected by someone's little opinion.

as most of you know , i'm no fan of companies, but throwing the city into the mix is the wrong way to go.

the first step to reform is to start choking out this government of tax money and the ability to collect fees.

I think that you posted this in the wrong forum, but whatever...

The intent of inspections is to protect the homeowner from hack contractors who do not follow the codes. I think that it is good practice and maintains a high standard of construction practices. Just look at some of the hackery on the "wall of shame", many of those installs you see are in places where there are no inspectors.

I dunno about your town, but around here the inspector is required to state what code is being violated (including the code section number) and a descrription of the code. i.e UMC XXX.XX unit shal maintain XX clrearance from combustibles etc.

Trust me, I have had some run arounds with a jackass inspector or two in my time. One was so bad, that I requested the building department to never send this guy out to any of my jobs ever again, and they never sent him again. If this inspector told the lady she got ripped off, you should call and complain to his boss. It is not the inspectors job to determine wether the amount charged was fair or not. zHe is simply there to make sure that the job is up to current code standards, and there is a certain level of workmanship. Thats it, not a critique of the job, or the cost of the job. Or heck, look at the inspection sheet, I'll bet his office phone number is on there. Call him up, and talk to him, and make sure you voice your complaints about him upsetting YOUR customer.

very good post, Wolfie .....

notta hint of Whine, just good 'ol Anger ....

Quote Originally Posted by oloenneker View Post
    The intent of inspections is to protect the homeowner from hack contractors who do not follow the codes. I think that it is good practice and maintains a high standard of construction practices. Just look at some of the hackery on the "wall of shame", many of those installs you see are in places where there are no inspectors.
    It's likely that those wall of shame pictures were done by unlicensed individuals who did not pull a permit.
    And in this case, the OP is exactly correct.
    In this case it's not about enforcement.
    It's about interpretation and it brings the inspector's integrity into question. His protection is not for the homeowner, but rather for the structure itself.
    And it's a minimum requirement, at best.
    He's not supposed to inject speculation with statements to the effect that someone "is being ripped off".
    That's not his domain and he can be held liable for that kind of rhetoric.

I dunno about your town, but around here the inspector is required to state what code is being violated (including the code section number) and a descrription of the code. i.e UMC XXX.XX unit shal maintain XX clrearance from combustibles etc.
    That is true and he can be forced to acknowledge his interpretation of code to be contested as well.
    I will be totally accommadating to the inspectors, but if they purposely intend to attack my company or me because of some personal problem, they will be forced to defend themselves and their written statements about code judgements in front of board officials.

Trust me, I have had some run arounds with a jackass inspector or two in my time. One was so bad, that I requested the building department to never send this guy out to any of my jobs ever again, and they never sent him again. If this inspector told the lady she got ripped off, you should call and complain to his boss. It is not the inspectors job to determine wether the amount charged was fair or not. zHe is simply there to make sure that the job is up to current code standards, and there is a certain level of workmanship. Thats it, not a critique of the job, or the cost of the job. Or heck, look at the inspection sheet, I'll bet his office phone number is on there. Call him up, and talk to him, and make sure you voice your complaints about him upsetting YOUR customer.
    Most of us have plenty of experiences dealing with inspectors. Some good, some bad.

What this inspector apparently did was unethical and requires no conversation from the employer or employee.
    In that circumstance, the only conversation he would be having with me would be through a lawyer or commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    so last week me and a guy from my company did an air conditioning install at some lady's house.
    this was my first job to be inspected by the city.
    as most of you know , i'm no big fan of rip-off companies , like the one i work for.
    it was a very expensive job but the lady was happy.
    plus she had to pay for permit and duct test, by law.
    so a week later we get a call that the install failed inspection.
    ?????????
    we go to the house after the inspector was there, the lady is all upset, SOMEBODY told her she got ripped-off , told her the job was terrible, and she handed us a big list of reasons why it didn't pass inspection.
    she threatened to complain to the company
    (like our company cares)
    everything except one on the list was BS, the inspector trumped up charges, and it was obvious he had some kind of problem with the price or a grudge against the company.
    i kid you not, the inspector told us to move a wooden attic beam (which wasn't in the way) and told us to flip the unit
    (for no reason ,which wasn't the way the old one was, and meant we would have to completly re-do the ductwork and place the unit in a hard access location)
    after the 2nd company PASSED the ductwork.
    the inspector told us HE is NOT PASSING the ductwork, and he's calling the duct testing company out again.
    he claims there is visible gaping holes in it, which is not true and impossible since the duct company pressurizes the ducts.
    so our boss told us to be nice to the inspector and not piss him off.
    i asked what the chances were to request another inspector and they told me not likely.

HAIL STALIN!

inspectors , forced by law to be paid by the home owner, telling customers they got ripped off, just to make a company look bad.

maybe we should offer him a bribe, and make the country fully corrupt.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would think getting the government involved in every little thing would be good?

you're paying someone for nothing, why would anyone want their lives to be effected by someone's little opinion.

as most of you know , i'm no fan of companies, but throwing the city into the mix is the wrong way to go.
    the first step to reform is to start choking out this government of tax money and the ability to collect fees.
    That's good stuff wolfstrike.
    Sounds like that inspector has an axe to grind.
    And I agree. These blokes that apologize for big government on everyone's backs are just idiots.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this. You openly smear the contractor you work for and call the place that puts food on your table a rip-off company, but yet you apparently have no problem cashing a paycheck from the company that rips off customers.

So...You know the company is ripping off customers (by your own admission) but yet you take the money that comes directly from these "ripped-off" customers.

1. What exactly does that make YOU then?
    2. Why are you still working there?
    3. Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"?
    The only thing that comes to mind is that kind seek out kind.

............And that's as far as I got with your OP before cashing it in.

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around this. You openly smear the contractor you work for and call the place that puts food on your table a rip-off company, but yet you apparently have no problem cashing a paycheck from the company that rips off customers.
    So...You know the company is ripping off customers (by your own admission) but yet you take the money that comes directly from these "ripped-off" customers.
    I think we all have worked for people who are like that, but that's just where we were at the time.
    If I had never accepted or kept a job that involved working for people who did rotten sheyt, I would have never kept a job and I'd be on welfare.There are lot's worse things than working for an ass.
    Not knowing he's an ass would be one.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge someone for being out there working for a living and being opinionated about the misdeeds they observe.

Quote Originally Posted by chillbilly View Post
    I think we all have worked for people who are like that, but that's just where we were at the time.
    If I had never accepted or kept a job that involved working for people who did rotten sheyt, I would have never kept a job and I'd be on welfare.There are lot's worse things than working for an ass.
    Not knowing he's an ass would be one.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge someone for being out there working for a living and being opinionated about the misdeeds they observe.
    If this were Wolfy's first post or I hadn't seen his "underbelly", I wouldn't be quick to judge.

As a matter of fact, I am not disputing the overall context of his post. The exception lies with the 6 little words he added onto the end of the sentence...Guess I fail to see the relevance of his comment to the story and it actually tends to contradict the point he is trying to make in the first place.

But make no mistake, I do understand what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    If this were Wolfy's first post or I hadn't seen his "underbelly", I wouldn't be quick to judge.

As a matter of fact, I am not disputing the overall context of his post. The exception lies with the 6 little words he added onto the end of the sentence...Guess I fail to see the relevance of his comment to the story and it actually tends to contradict the point he is trying to make in the first place.

But make no mistake, I do understand what you are saying.
    If I got "screwed to the wall" by some inspector I might be making some outlandish statements myself, I'd be so mad. Cut Wolfie some slack. You may not like his whinning in the past but he has a right to go off a little with AHs like that inspector.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac8 View Post
    If I got "screwed to the wall" by some inspector I might be making some outlandish statements myself, I'd be so mad. Cut Wolfie some slack. You may not like his whinning in the past but he has a right to go off a little with AHs like that inspector.
    Ok - 'nuff said.....I'll move along (kinda spooky in here anyway )

I think that you posted this in the wrong forum, but whatever...
    this is a political commentary

The intent of inspections is to protect the homeowner from hack contractors who do not follow the codes.
    SOUNDS like a good idea but we all know the end result will be people making a lot of money to burn up the tradesman's time on stupid crap.

I dunno about your town, but around here the inspector is required to state what code is being violated
    he simply lied , saying there was no filter when he knew damn well it was in the furnice.

You openly smear the contractor you work for and call the place that puts food on your table a rip-off company,
    um...ya
    they rip people off , i'm not sposda tell prices , you would agree

i was just trying to make the point that i wasn't gungho for the company, and that i wasn't just trying to trash the inspector for the company.

You know the company is ripping off customers (by your own admission) but yet you take the money that comes directly from these "ripped-off" customers.
    are you hiring right now?

...and we don't get the money , we get a tiny percentage for doin ALL the work,
    and i'll be on a lower scale.

are you hiring right now?

Yes we're hiring..................not looking for whiny, backstabbers though.

.........You don't fall into that category, do you?