Walleye, batter fried.

Walleye, batter fried.

Planning a fish fry. Got lots of walleye, looking for a batter for hot oil fry.
    ( using a turkey frier )
    never say never

I've never tried it on walleye, but this is excellent on deep fried trout.

Crushed Ritz crackers and flour (about even amounts).
    Kosher salt
    Fresh ground black pepper
    lemon pepper

Dry the fish fillets and press the batter into them evenly and thouroughly. Carefully fry till golden and serve with lemon wedges.

Once you taste this, you might not like fish any other way. So be careful.

By the way, I have tried dipping in egg first but the texture is wrong.

Easiest deep fry batter I have tried is:
    2 parts flour
    1 part pancake mix
    water to make it runny. (or use beer instead of water)

Trick is the fillets must be dry before dunking them in the batter for it to stick.

More pancake mix, makes more of a thicker crust
    More flour makes crust browner.

Sort of the poor mans tampora batter.

Salt to taste.

Take the fillet dip it in dry flour coating it on both sides

Dip it in egg wash for a second

then dip it in PANCO ( Japanese bread crumbs) We buy it by the 50 LBS. bag but you can buy it in small boxes in the grocery store.

Then deep fry it a couple minutes

If you want extra crispy dip it back in the egg wash after the panco and then coat again back in the bowl of panco.

Thats how I usally do it but sometimes I just use egg wash and flour with spices and papreka.

I may just try both recipies. Last time I tried this I dipped em in egg and they turned out like cheet.

Perhaps the dry thing is the way to go
    never say never

Contactor ....... just so you know, rubbing the dry flour on the fillet to begin with gives something to the egg wash to adhere to.

Let me know how it worked out for you....... Im pretty sure you will be pleased.

while your at it , throw in some of those Orida EXTRA CRISPY frozen french fries after you do the fish. That way the fries are warm to eat with the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    Contactor ....... just so you know, rubbing the dry flour on the fillet to begin with gives something to the egg wash to adhere to.

Let me know how it worked out for you....... Im pretty sure you will be pleased.

while your at it , throw in some of those Orida EXTRA CRISPY frozen french fries after you do the fish. That way the fries are warm to eat with the fish.
    Now thats a TIP !
    Thanx guys! and you too dec!
    never say never

I bought some "Fish-n-chips" batter at wal-marts in a blue box. A box will do 2+ lbs of fish. Cooked a batch of Wiper in the turkey cooker just last night. It was fantastic. Best fish I ever cooked. I made the batter, trimmed the fish filets into finger food pieces and threw um all in. Let um soak it up while I heated the peanut oil to 350. Tossed in small batches and ran um in the house hot. It got ate quick! Make sure you pick up some Franks Red Hot sauce while yer there. It's not too hot, and nicely vinegary. Good match for fish. I just wish my kid would go catch MORE FISH! It looked like this and was real crunchy.
    Last edited by spotts; 06-06-2007 at 05:20 PM.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau