Thread: Did I #$*& up

Hmm Did I #$*& up

York package r.t.u
    M\N-DM060N10B2BADIA,S\N-NOG5550057
    No cooling call,found unit locked out with nine flashes on board(ignition control locked out,ignition control failure,limit trip) these are what the nine flashes mean,unit was in cooling mode,87 ambient temp.this is a scroll,reset unit ,78 suction,75 head,i thought rotation was wrong,switched two leads and that wasn't it,sometimes compressor runs for 15 seconds and sometimes for 5 minutes,not going of on internal overload,but top of compressor is extremely hot,9 flashes after every time it locks out,V.A.C.,L1-203,L2-198,L3-197,amps,L1-14.2,L2-14.0,L3-17.1,compressor f.l.a. is 16,told customer that compressor is bad,now i'm second guessing my diagnosis,am i missing something? unit is only one year old,would like to know where to get a print for this unit.

Quote Originally Posted by rix870 View Post
    York package r.t.u
    78 suction,75 head,i thought rotation was wrong,switched two leads and that wasn't it,sometimes compressor runs for 15 seconds and sometimes for 5 minutes,not going of on internal overload,but top of compressor is extremely hot,

Is this a Copeland?

Sounds like that new differential pressure valve they started putting in last year is blown wide open. I had a couple units last summer that kept right on running after the valve opened up and it resulted in a burnout both times because the unit did'nt trip out on saftey.

I have the info out in the truck somewhere, tried to get it from Copeland's site for you, but now that it's Emerson it's not as easy it used to be.
    It Is What It Is

it's a copeland

amperage over RLA?

I would think that if the compressor is running, and there is no refer flow, that there could be a bad DP valve like bustawrench said, but i would think that would cause lower amperage, because its doing less work? What is the pressure when the unit is idle? I'd Also double check metering device. potentially wide open causing no pressure differential suction to discharge.

A wide open metering device will not cause that to happen. Have you actually seen this happen? Only way I can see it happening is no metering device at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    I'd Also double check metering device. potentially wide open causing no pressure differential suction to discharge.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Copeland's site is still "www.EmersonClimateContractor.com" You can get your detailed product information there.

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    A wide open metering device will not cause that to happen. Have you actually seen this happen? Only way I can see it happening is no metering device at all.
    NEVER ON WIDE OPEN THERMAL VALVE, BUT ON A MISSING ONE.

What about low on charge? Some rtu's are puting LP switch on the high side.

Some rtu's are puting LP switch on the high side?
    If you did have a leek on your suction side wouldn't you pull in to a vacuum still? Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of a LPS??

what is your ambient temp? unless it's around 50 degrees (and its not you said 87) you either also have a leak, a bad high side guage or some thing along those lines. a new compressor may be in the works but that aint all.

And your point is?
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    What about low on charge? Some rtu's are puting LP switch on the high side.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn79 View Post
    Some rtu's are puting LP switch on the high side?
    If you did have a leek on your suction side wouldn't you pull in to a vacuum still? Doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of a LPS??
    I Know york is doing this, the reason is low ambient operation I believe. If most leaks happen the worst on off cycle, and if the psi drops low enough, then it will prevent from starting. I'm not saying its a good plan, but I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    And your point is?
    I'm not quite sure anymore.