Post Likes

Hobart LxiH Pump and Water Level Issues

I have an interesting issue with a Hobart LxiH model dish machine. The unit seems to work pretty just fine when the detergent mode is set to off. Set the detergent mode to "ON" and a couple of problems happen:

1. After wash cycle and before rinse the machine should drain off a little bit of water to make room for the rinse water. This unit drains all the way to the lower sensor and then is short of water for the next cycle.
    2. When you turn the unit off the pump to drain continues to run well beyond the tank being empty. You have to open and close the door repeatedly to get it to finally turn off.

Neither one of these things happen if the unit detergent setting is set to "OFF".

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SATXHunter View Post
    I have an interesting issue with a Hobart LxiH model dish machine. The unit seems to work pretty just fine when the detergent mode is set to off. Set the detergent mode to "ON" and a couple of problems happen:

1. After wash cycle and before rinse the machine should drain off a little bit of water to make room for the rinse water. This unit drains all the way to the lower sensor and then is short of water for the next cycle.
    2. When you turn the unit off the pump to drain continues to run well beyond the tank being empty. You have to open and close the door repeatedly to get it to finally turn off.

Neither one of these things happen if the unit detergent setting is set to "OFF".

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Im not sure if its a coincidence or not regarding detergent being on or off . That being said at the end of a cycle , open the door and see if the water is touching the upper probe . If not try cleaning it .
    When you power off the unit , the drain cycle does last for awhile , it almost has a chugging sound near the end of it .
    Do you think your losing any water during the cycle from the drain ? You could disconnect hose , hold it in a bucket during wash cycle and observe it.
    Once you rule out all the little things , then we have to start looking at a board issue .

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I'm no trained & certified Hobart tech, but I work on enough of them (we have four). From my experience, the single most problematic component on the LXiH machines is that probe set located in the right-rear of the wash compartment. After awhile, their sensitivity becomes skewed. Very much like a Manitowoc ice thickness control. They get fouled over time...and all you can do is replace it.

My first time or two at troubleshooting those machines, I'd chased my @$$ trying to figure out why the machine kept coming up short on water in the second and subsequent wash cycles (after initial fill). Sometimes there was an error code displayed...and sometimes NOT. Without going into the details on what led me there, I'll just say that I learned to replace that probe assembly whenever our LXiH machines start acting up and a cleaning didn't fix it. They worked fine every time after doing so. Just did one today. It's become a semi-annual thing on a few of our LXIs.

My first recommendation is to try cleaning those probes. Access isn't the greatest, but use a Scotchbrite pad and give them both a good polishing to knock off any crud...whether you can see any or not. While you're at it...secondly, do the same to that short little single water probe that's located in the front. It's located under that little basket strainer in front of the heating element. Thirdly, make sure the tub is clean and free of white, chaulky buildup. Maybe a delime cycle is needed.

If all of that doesn't work, then replace the rear probe set. It's not too difficult. Disconnect a two-pin wire connector and remove a cheesy plastic nut. Requires some finesse in coaxing the new probe into place along with a gasket through the front...while installing the nut on from the rear. Be careful because if a wire comes loose, then you've messed up a new probe.

Insofar as your correlations it working with no soap and not working when the soap's there? Again, the detergent may merely be messing with the old & deteriorated probes.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    I do not notice any water draining off during the wash. I have for sure tried to clean those probes and had no luck. I will order a new set and see what happens. I will post the results.

5. Likes ECtofix liked this post
    Post Likes
    I replace at least one of these a week......and make dang sure machine is level.

Post Likes
    Are those the under counter units? If so they are notorious for sensor problems. Also, the door tension rods always break.