Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 items to check when installing new equipment

Post Likes

32 items to check when installing new equipment

As some of you already know I'm in the midst of installing a York 18 seer airhandler and heat pump with a honeywell iaq 2.0 thermostat.

My HVAC guy did decent looking work. He used nitrogen when brazing all the connections. His main concern was that it has a delta t of 20 degrees across the A coil and from what I'm reading on this forum it's not all about that.

My system is up and running in cooling mode. I've been looking at the performance logs and I have a 14 degree delta T across the A coil on 86 degree day with 65% humidity.

I read on here that there are 32 different tests/things to check before you know your system is optimized. I need to know what to ask my HVAC guy what to check out otherwise I'm afraid he won't perform the tests. What are these 32 items?

Also on my airhandler's circuit board there is a green led that flashes sporadically and a red led that flashes consistently all the time. Is that normal?

My system is under warranty for 30 more days so I want to make sure it's fully sorted out before it expires. Thanks for your help as always.

Post Likes
    Good luck.
    You can have static pressure , cfm, water column across coil (TESP), superheat, subcooling, delta t, basic install practices which can add up to more than thirty two things to check.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelLeCompte View Post

My system is under warranty for 30 more days so I want to make sure it's fully sorted out before it expires. Thanks for your help as always.

30 Days?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    30 Days?
    Yes. it's not new equipment.

Post Likes
    If you've bought used equipment, and it's working, then he (the installer) might balk at further testing to "optimize" the installation. When you had him quote the price, that would have been the time to list your requirements, not now. His guarantee on used was that it works, simple as that (I'll bet).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    If you've bought used equipment, and it's working, then he (the installer) might balk at further testing to "optimize" the installation. When you had him quote the price, that would have been the time to list your requirements, not now. His guarantee on used was that it works, simple as that (I'll bet).
    I pay him by the hour.

Post Likes
    You're mistaking it with.... "The 32 checks you're gonna write him."

Post Likes
    14 degree drop over the coil is really wimpy. Either WAY too much air or something wrong with the refrigeration system. If first started and the house is a sauna I can see that. But after it is cooled down, should be quite a bit higher.

Post Likes
    Performance Log for last 24hr: Location Eugene, Oregon

Min MAX
    Delta T 14 12
    Discharge temp 46 48
    Return temp 60 60
    outdoor temp 59 77
    outdoor hum 67% 86%
    indoor temp 71 72
    indoor hum 43% 59%

Subcool value from yesterday was 8. Chart calls for for 6-7.

I found loose duct work under the house that's causing discharge air to mix with the return air. I'm going to get a bucket of mastic and a brush and sort that out today.

I have a common return setup/ aka sealed plenum crawlspace/Conditioned crawlspace. Like this: http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildi...ble%20Duty.pdf

Plan is to recheck all the ductwork, replace the filter with new 20x25x5 airbear Merv11, and run it some more and see how the performance log improves.

Post Likes
    It's an air conditioner, not a refrigeration unit. With return of 60 you will not get a 20 degree temp drop. Run it much as is and the coil can freeze up.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes

32 items to check when installing new equipment

What temp are you trying to achieve? 71 is pretty cool.

You put in used equipment? How old is the equipment?

Is it sized correctly? Did someone perform a load calc? Did you increase the size?

Over sizing can cause severe humidity issues.

Post some pics of the install. Anyone who would agree to install used equipment isn't exactly "top notch".

Post Likes
    Indoor temp 71, return temp 60?

Your return temp sensor is either inaccurate, or you have a bypass humidifier, and the sensor is located after the bypass.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Indoor temp 71, return temp 60?

Your return temp sensor is either inaccurate, or you have a bypass humidifier, and the sensor is located after the bypass.
    I do not have a Bypass Humidifier. My return plenum is the same square footage of my house and 30" tall. it's not a ducted return. It's a sealed concrete plenum crawlspace/common return.

Using my non contact thermometer the return is 59 degrees and the crawlspace is also 59 degrees. So the return temp sensor is measuring accurately.

Also, see my last post. I have discharge ducts that are leaking under the house that need to be fixed. That's definitely contributing to cool return temps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    What temp are you trying to achieve? 71 is pretty cool.

You put in used equipment? How old is the equipment?

Is it sized correctly? Did someone perform a load calc? Did you increase the size?

Over sizing can cause severe humidity issues.

Post some pics of the install. Anyone who would agree to install used equipment isn't exactly "top notch".
    The airhandler I removed was a 4 ton york from 2006.

I replaced it with a 4 ton york from 2009 (AVY48).

The heat pump is YZH48 from 2009.

There's a york filter housing on top of the air handler.

It's a down flow air handler. The return is on the left going into filter housing on top of the air handler. Notice the radiused elbows.

Neither unit is malfunctioning. No error codes. I supervised the uninstall and witnessed it as a working system before hand and brought it to my house. It's not like it was already uninstalled mystery crap sitting in someones garage. Everything works on both units. It's nice, clean stuff.

I had it at 71 to give everything a good workout on the hot days prior to yesterday. It's set at 73 now.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Sounds like your worrying too much. Sounds like everything is fine. Especially since your dealing with used equipment and a installer who is willing to work by the hour. Most people who work by the hour for a homeowner are not licensed and do not pull permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac hero View Post
    Sounds like your worrying too much. Sounds like everything is fine. Especially since your dealing with used equipment and a installer who is willing to work by the hour. Most people who work by the hour for a homeowner are not licensed and do not pull permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Heh, well I can assure you he's licensed and that I've pulled permits for all my work. Otherwise the county records won't update and the value of my house doesn't reflect the changes.

I'm not really worried... My original question was what are the little extra things we can check and test to make sure everything is optimal? I was asking for a list or a link to a list.

This discussion went off the rails very quickly...

Post Likes
    I would be looking for return air leakage. As stated before by others,, a 10 degree difference between indoor temp and return temp is not right. Your humidity also seems high which may also be an indication of the same.

Post Likes
    I do not have a Bypass Humidifier. My return plenum is the same square footage of my house and 30" tall. it's not a ducted return. It's a sealed concrete plenum crawlspace/common return.

Using my non contact thermometer the return is 59 degrees and the crawlspace is also 59 degrees. So the return temp sensor is measuring accurately.

Also, see my last post. I have discharge ducts that are leaking under the house that need to be fixed. That's definitely contributing to cool return temps.
    No use doing a 32 point check then. Until all of that is fixed. Including installing a ducted return.

Post Likes
    The airhandler I removed was a 4 ton york from 2006.

I replaced it with a 4 ton york from 2009 (AVY48).

The heat pump is YZH48 from 2009.

There's a york filter housing on top of the air handler.

It's a down flow air handler. The return is on the left going into filter housing on top of the air handler. Notice the radiused elbows.

Neither unit is malfunctioning. No error codes. I supervised the uninstall and witnessed it as a working system before hand and brought it to my house. It's not like it was already uninstalled mystery crap sitting in someones garage. Everything works on both units. It's nice, clean stuff.

I had it at 71 to give everything a good workout on the hot days prior to yesterday. It's set at 73 now.
    Well Eugene Oregon sounds like all is swell being that your Happy Happy Happy.

Next case

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Well Eugene Oregon sounds like all is swell being that your Happy Happy Happy.

Next case
    Chris, noticed you're from Mt. Airy... I grew up in Frederick and went to high school at Urbana. I used to go to the cruise-ins at the ace hardware in Mt. Airy twice a month.

Yeah it's definitely a Duck Dynasty here today. I live 700 yards from the stadium. I keep hearing the horn going off and the crowd cheering so I'm guessing the ducks are beating Tennessee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in