Thread: what air filter

Post Likes

what air filter

what air filter does everyone use on there furnace?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Infinity Air Purifier, on our Heat Pump Air Handler.

I think most here would say a 4 or 5" thick,Merv 8 or 10,pleated media filter is a great choice,and the minimum to keep the equipment clean.

Post Likes
    Lennox HC16 - MERV 16 media

Also considered the Aprilaire ones...

Post Likes
    i have been using the 3m 1500. i know a lot of people on here dont like them that is why im asking. i have looked at lowes all they hay is 3m and the cheap blue one were do you all get them from? my furnace uses the one inch thick ones.

Post Likes
    I have the Honeywell MERV 12 4" media on mine.

I notice that Lowes don't have a good choice of filters, Home Depot has the good basic Pleated filter in a 3pk for about $6, MERV 8. Anything higher than that like the 3M is hard on your equipment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism9232 View Post
    i have been using the 3m 1500. i know a lot of people on here dont like them that is why im asking. i have looked at lowes all they hay is 3m and the cheap blue one were do you all get them from? my furnace uses the one inch thick ones.
    Call your local HVAC contractor.

Post Likes
    I use a disposable fiberglass filter. We also use a vaccuum cleaner around the house once in a while.

Post Likes
    Anything other than 1" will likely require some sheet metal modifications. Like Dash said, call a contractor. There are lots of choices in 4 and 5" models. Some of which can be bought at HD/Lowes (I think I saw an Air Bear there once). You can always buy replacement filters online for almost any brand. But you gotta get the unit installed.

Post Likes
    i have been using the 3m 1500. i know a lot of people on here dont like them that is why im asking.
    Why do those people not like them? As far as I know, they'll restrict airflow and reduce system efficiency just as well as other expensive filters designed to make the hardware store profits.

If all you have is a single medium to small sized filter serving the system then it's likely that you don't have enough surface area to properly support a high efficiency filter. It presents more restriction than the system is designed to handle. Unfortunately, many systems don't deliver proper airflow even with a non-restrictive filter. They're only made worse by the addition of a 3M or anything like it. In other words, Doc may have been steering you on the right course.

Consider too that you're not really going to have any great impact on air quality unless you run the furnace blower 24/7 or at the very least on a consistent circulate mode. You'll also need to keep the house closed up all the time. If you're ducts leak a lot and in the wrong places then that impact could be negative rather than positive.

There are numerous assumptions in my reply regarding your situation, such as the assumption that you're goal is improved air quality. Obviously I could be wrong. Suffice it to say that for most people slapping an expensive filter into a furnace often accomplishes little of what they want and results in other things they didn't expect.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
    I use a disposable fiberglass filter. We also use a vaccuum cleaner around the house once in a while.
    Amen! Brother ditto on both the disposable fiberglass filters and the vacuum cleaner sounds like us here.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    2" Practical Pleat for return grille applications work good... www.filterfolks.com

Post Likes
    what air filter does everyone use on there furnace?
    CleanEffects is great and very user friendly. Excellent warranty and very simple technology to understand how it works.

Post Likes
    does it have one in it now measure it and post the size and brand

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    does it have one in it now measure it and post the size and brand
    i have two. 16x25x1 and 14x25x1. i have the 3m now

Post Likes
    if all 3 filters are for 1 system you wont have problems using the 3m filtrete filter

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    if all 3 filters are for 1 system you wont have problems using the 3m filtrete filter
    i have a 3ton heatpump and a 70,000 btu furnace. the 16x25x1 has 4 6inch pipes to it the 14x25x1 is 14x25 the whole way will the 3m filters be ok?

Post Likes
    IMHO,no,but at best the must be changed in weeks,not months.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    IMHO,no,but at best the must be changed in weeks,not months.
    i do them every month

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in