Quick question on Heppa Filters

AC installer here as we speak replacing entire system with American Standard variable speed furnace, 15 seer condenser, and new coil. He is recommending a 5" heffa filter to protect the system and reduce dust in the home. I was curious what you guys though t of these if they are worth the extra cost?

Umm... I could be wrong, but I think either you or your AC installer got the filter types confused. There's a 5" pleated media filter, and then there's a HEPA filter - two different beasts (as far as I know).

The pleated media filters are supposed to be great. Don't know about the HEPA filters, other than they pretty much have to be installed in a bypass configuration because they only output 400 CFM of air... I'm getting both the 5" pleated media filter (Honeywell F200) and the HEPA filter (Honeywell F500) in each of my systems, along with a "Energy Recovery Fresh Air Ventilation System" (Honeywell ER200).

I'm doing all of this stuff to hopefully help my wife's asthma along with incidental benefits of reducing dust and keeping the coil clean...

Thank you for clarifying it is a 5 " media filter and it connects directly to the handler. Am I to understand you would recommend this?

He is correct. HEPA is too restrictive in residential to not be put in a bypass situation.

The 5" media cleaners do very well for particles above 1 micron. Some now, notably a Lennox unit, are getting decent even sub-micron. These particle are pollen, duct, allergens. If you want the real nasties, which are invisible to the human eye, you need something that goes down to 1/3 of a micron. Other than the Lennox unit, that means electronic. I like the Aprilaire 5000 which is a media cleaner charged to 16000 volts. The new Accu-clean or Clean-Effects units from A-S/Trane have some amazing specs. Pretty pricey too.

Thanks for the response guys he is off to the parts whse to pick up a 5 " media filter. Hopefully they will finish soon Im ready to enjoy my new AC in this Texas heat.

LOL - well, having only had my partially complete system for a few days now, and only one of the two systems having the F200 media filter installed, I can't really say as I'd recommend it or not recommend it. It's certainly not going to hurt anything to have it. It will keep the coil cleaner than a grocery store 1" glass strand filter.

.093 pressure drop on 5" Practical Pleat... www.filterfolks.com

the honeywell is a great filter change it 2 times a year.

Lennox?

Baldloonie: Are you speaking of the Pureair system or the Healty Climate 16? I'm looking at the PureAir, but can't find any info on the amount of pressure drop or how frequently the filters clog up. Any insights?