Cooling Tower Woes

This is a BAC M/n J0909-B 22 S/n U065725601 This is a spray draft tower with Brass #22 nozzles. Even with monthly cleanings, including all three strainers, the nozzles clog with silt. Want to add a tower filtration system, anyone know of a source? Also how will it affect my warranty to drill into the tower to install a filter system? (tower is less than a year old) PS water treatment is good.

Contact BAC and see if they offer a system to filter or treat the coolikng water. They haven't been around for decades and not been thru this before.

Silt?

Where is the silt comming from? Is there construction going on? Maybe this is a temp situation? You might increase the flush time cycle. That might help. Also I have seen in line water filters cut in to take partial filtering of the tower water. Not 100% flow, these were taking about 10-20% flow, cut into the bottom of the pipes. It worked pretty well and kept the tower sump nice n clean. These were the cloth filter cartrige types.

Whats your purge rate set for?

Most towers with problems have no or low water purge.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Purge rate is set by my Chem. guy and it's electronically controlled. All looks good in the tower, only get a tiny bit of calcium, where spray heads misfire. Thanks for the tip about constuction, it's about a half mile away, but they've been doing a lot of landscaping across the street from the tower. Been running around like a chicken with its head cut off lately, and it just didn't register. Have figured out how to tap a filter in without cutting into the tower. Just have to get my tower installer to tell me what to use. The nozzles jets are really small and I'm going to have to have extra filtering. I also found out the nozzles are expensive.

filter setup

The filter setup I delt with was inside near the circ pump and water chems. Just go across the pump hi and low side where it is easiest for you. Doesn't have to be right at the pump. Put in ball valves so you can control the flow and use one of those cloth filter cartridges that hold 4 filters and stand about 36" high. I forget the exact name of them. Tell your chem guy your problem with silt and have him increase the flush time of the tower. The only down side is you will use a lil more chemical if he has it set up by the makeup water used and not a timed chemical add.