Thread: closing dampers in ducts

Post Likes

closing dampers in ducts

We have a Carrier Weathermaker 9200 nat gas furnace with Trane 14xi(?) air conditioner. I was adjusting the dampers in the delivery ducts to try to get more cooling in the upstairs bedrooms and less cooling on the first floor. I have closed about 30% of the output ducts, with the remaining ducts wide open. I am concerned that I might restrict the airflow too much resulting in damage or excess wear on the blower. Can anyone offer guidelines that I should follow?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    You really need a Pro to test the static while partially closing dampers,and s/he needs to set the fan speed using the mfrs. fan data chart.

You may need duct modifications to corect the problem,or a "zoning system: and modifications.

Yes you can restrict the air flow too much.

A crude way to try and avoid this ,is to feel air flow at the return(s),if it's reduced by closing dampers,you are in the danger zone.Can't tell for sure without the proper testing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    You really need a Pro to test the static while partially closing dampers,and s/he needs to set the fan speed using the mfrs. fan data chart.

You may need duct modifications to corect the problem,or a "zoning system: and modifications.

Yes you can restrict the air flow too much.

A crude way to try and avoid this ,is to feel air flow at the return(s),if it's reduced by closing dampers,you are in the danger zone.Can't tell for sure without the proper testing.
    What about closing off some/all of the downstairs outlets when combined with a 2 stage VS system? A Pro quoted a top of the line system and touted this as the answer to the 'upstairs comfort problem'.

When you said, above re: danger zone, were you referring to the coil freezing?

AM

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    i wouldn't try that with a two stage.

What happens when it goes to high stage ,with the downstairs dampers closed.

Now partially closed,the extra ability of a variable speed to move air,iy may help or even corrrect the problem,in particularly at night .

Proper testing and re/design of the ducts is the best way to go.

BTW ,although a Variable speed can move more air in undersized ducts,it sharply increases operating costs ,of the motor, to do so.

Post Likes
    This is why Commercial spaces cannot be granted a CO without air balancing being done. I dont know how many times I've run into this with houses. This is a bigger problem then most people think when it comes to residential systems.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in