+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Way up Yonder

Post Likes

Hmm Zinc Bombs???

Not to get off the subject, I worked in the Orlando area for the last eleven years before leaving to my next trade adventure. Before I left I started noticing these things called Zinc Bombs, supposed to help fight the corrosion. Anyone know of these and do they acualy work?

Post Likes
    They prevent galvanic action between dissimilar metals that are in contact with one another. Galvanic action attacks the weakest metal present, and all a corrosion grenade, or zinc bomb does is introduce a weaker metal into the system. In theory, it's a great idea, but I haven't seen any installed, so I can't tell you how well they work.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes

Smile the grenade

Thats about all I know about it as well and I've never seen them in the feild as well. Maybee someone has out there and can give somemore insight. Thanks!

Post Likes
    never heard of or seen the zinc bombs, but it has been many years since i worked in a coastal area. I would think the zinc merely acts as an anode, essentially attracting the corrosive forces to itself instead of letting it get to the coils. I know this is effective on steel in underwater applications, but I have no idea how well it works or if it would even work at all in an ac unit.

Post Likes
    i have seen one on a unit on the oceanfront. 1 year old Lennox, looked good at the time. If i ever go back hopefully I'll have a camera on me. This house is on stilts right on the ocean, it gets a lot of abuse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in