Carrier 24ACR3 or 24ABA3???

Hi. I'm in the process of choosing either air conditioner and hope for your opinion on which I should go for. The 24ARC3 is the Comfort model that's using R-22. The 24ABA3 is the base model that's using R-410a. My inclination is to go with the Comfort since it is a bit quieter (74 vs 76 dBa)and slightly more efficient (not 100% positive). R-22 vs R-410a...from what I've read, R-22 will be around even beyond 2020. I would appreciate any input/words of wisdom. Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like you've done your research and your reasoning is sound.
    GOD knows if you did your best! <><

Riddle me this, if the HO is not changing out everything just like when the home was new are they getting what they are paying for dollar for dollar as for as performance of the new system? if not what percentage of money lost do you think on an average they are losing? just wondering.
    Just looking for an average loss not a lab result or not to the science of dollars lost.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Your points are well taken. I did not mention earlier that the old furnace will be replaced with Carrier 58MXB plus the addition of the AC. I appreciate both your inputs.

Carrier 24ACR3 or 24ABA3

You are not comparing similar grades of units. One is a base series (24ABA)with "Puron/410-A" and the other is a comfort series (24ACR) with R-22. There is a 24ACA3 that is the comfort series with Puron/410-A, if you are undecided on which refrigerant to use.
    If you can't change your line set, or copper tubing, you might want to stay with
    R-22, 24ACR-series. I would prefer the "Puron" system based on the performance and the changes that are taking place with the refrigerant pricing. Either one will be a great unit, but the base only has a five year compressor warranty.

The line set will also be brand new, so I can go either R-22 or Puron. The reason for the choosing either the 24ACR (Comfort w/R-22) or the 24ABA (Base w/ Puron) is the cost. There is not a big cost difference between the two. Is there a big jump in price with the 24ACA (Comfort w/ Puron)? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbillpro View Post
    Riddle me this, if the HO is not changing out everything just like when the home was new are they getting what they are paying for dollar for dollar as for as performance of the new system? if not what percentage of money lost do you think on an average they are losing? just wondering.
    Just looking for an average loss not a lab result or not to the science of dollars lost.
    Depends on the air distribution system.

The better the air distribution system, the closer they get to the SEER of the unit.

Just my guess.

Going from 10 to 13 SEER.
    5% on a duct system thats barely able to move enough air to keep it from freezing.
    20% on a text book duct system.

On the ones that hardly see any savings, its just the new clean coil and blower that are saving them money.

13 SEER min is not to save the customer money, its to reduce global warming.

Lets face it.
    The less electric A/C's use, the higher electric companies will raise their rates.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Im not sure, but I am sure they will give you options for both.