Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Any repair bandaid for aluminum condenser coils

Are there any proven products for aluminum condenser coils? It's been a while, and I didn't know if any worthwhile products have been proven.

I've got a General Electric package unit with a pin-hole in the condenser.

Any thoughts beside changing the coil?

Good luck this summer; it's going to get hot!

I had an evap coil in a RTU that was punctured several times by a electrician mounting a disconnect. I cut out the coil and took it to a welding shop that does TIG welding. Came out perfect and all I had to do was cut it out and reinstall it. TIG is the way to go for aluminum.

Lightbulb

Temporary repair piece of rubber and a hose clamp . If your good with a torch alum. solder. If not Johnstone has an all purpose epoxy kit for alum coils. Take your pick ...I've used all three with great results.

Get a Scotch brite green pad, cut it in two inch squares. Clean the area good with the pad dipped in 99% Isopropyl, use four pads. Get the alcohol and pads out of the area. From an ACR supply house use aluminium solder, and the flux for it. (if a separate flux is used) Heat the repair spot with a propane torch that is on a hose, bottle sitting on its base. The part of the flame you want to use is, two thirds from the torch tip. If the leak is on the bottom and oil is leaking out you will need to stop the oil by tilting the coil. I had one on a freezer like this, I laid the unit down and cleaned the area with an ear syringe and 99% Isopropyl, folllowed by the Scotch bite pads.

epoxy for temp. repair!

replace coil for proper repair!

Airmechanical ~Now how are you gonna replace coil if you you get call on Friday or any other day and coil is not available , that is what these temporary repairs are for. and these repair will last if need be . But yes I agree coil should be changed . You gotta do what you gotta do to keep 'um cool
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    Airmechanical ~Now how are you gonna replace coil if you you get call on Friday or any other day and coil is not available , that is what these temporary repairs are for. and these repair will last if need be . But yes I agree coil should be changed . You gotta do what you gotta do to keep 'um cool
    did you not read my post;

as i stated above, temporarily epoxy the leak, then come back and replace the coil!

OOPS. Sorry
    Guess I read too quickly
    I saw exclaimation mark and misinterpreted.
    Alot of people do not like epoxy because they do not mix it properly or clean surface, so I thought thats where you were coming from.
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

If leak is on stright tubing remove finns clean,buy two tap a lines like they use on window units they make them up to 7/8 throw away the two parts with pearsing niddle make a clamp with gaskit out of back half works great

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    If leak is on stright tubing remove finns clean,buy two tap a lines like they use on window units they make them up to 7/8 throw away the two parts with pearsing niddle make a clamp with gaskit out of back half works great

thats a pretty cool idea if it actually works....

stainless steel compression fittings

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post

if your wall unit isn't leaking, install one of those line tap valves on it, then it will leak!

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    thats a pretty cool idea if it actually works....
    It works used both on A/c and refrigeration Years ago I had a hussman 5 door freezer the defrost heater shorted out to evap coil 3/4 Alum tubing used this method cust had the casas another 4years never added another drop of gas. And the best part is I saved this peice of coil in my truck.One day I was at the supply house the guy from turbo tourch was there showing off his alum soulder we made another hole in the coil he could not fix it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast