Ice around the lines

My Rheem 2 1/2 ton heat pump stopped blowing cold air last night. I live in Alabama. It didn't cycle like it would normally do. It just kept blowing slightly and not very cold. This unit was installed 3 years ago. I only had the guy who installed it, come out and service it. He came out 2 months ago and serviced it. After a night of sweating and not sleeping... I called him and only got the answering machine. I called another guy because of a referal from a co-worker, this guy said he'll be out soon today. I went outside this morning and looked inside, where the fan is located, and saw ice pieces and one piece still connected to a line. I turned everything off. Any ideas???

Thanks
    Joe

You already did the right thing, you called for service.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Check your filter.
    Leave the A/C off untill the serviceman gets there. Show him where the ice was if it is gone when he arrives.
    What's my post count now?
    UA Local 636

turn the fan switch at thermostat to the on position.

he can't check much if theres 50 lbs of ice on the indoor coil...

Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia
    To expoung upon T527ED, provided your air handler is in an unconditioned space IE:garage/basement/unfinished area, turn the system fan to on... Should it be in an attic or around any other area that can be damaged by water, delay your service call and leave the fan off.
    "Surprised ?! If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised."
    Clark Griswold

Update!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy I called from my co-workers referral, came to the house. We took the unit's top off and found ice on all the fins. I watched everything he did...He put how much of the refridgerant I don't know. But, everything now works!!!!!!! And he only charged me $---. I told him that he will keep my business and I will pass his name to others. He is retired Navy and said he is the station commander of the local VFW. I told him that I am also ex military and now work for the Army Depot in Anniston Alabama. This was my experience with a local HVAC contractor. Family sticks with family no matter what.

Thanks for all your input.

Joe Delk
    Last edited by jrbenny; 05-26-2007 at 10:34 PM. Reason: pricing

So where did the refrigerant go?
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    So where did the refrigerant go?

My best guess would be since it's Memorial Day weekend, it took a little trip up to Indy to watch the big race and will be back sometime on Tuesday.......
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

XX dollars for a service call and freon. why do i find this really hard to believe. did he look for the leak?
    Last edited by jrbenny; 05-26-2007 at 10:35 PM.

Cool

He checked everything that I know. I stayed out there with him the whole time. I didn't believe the price either! I was expecting $XXX or better, but that was all that he charged. He said it was only a small loss of freon. I guess in the south things are different. Maybe in NJ Tony Soprano holds the cards. Ha ha, just kidding.

Joe

Well, keep an eye on it. It will freeze up again, the only question is how big is the leak?
    S**t or get off the pot!

Plan on having that guy back many more times. If he put freon in to fix it and it was icing up due to a low charge, then you have a slow leak somewhere. Did he do a leak search to find the leak and fix it or just gas it up and leave?

This will be a continual problem until the leak is found and fixed. But for $XX bucks i guess its worth having him come back every few weeks.