In-duct (Central HVAC) UV Light Suggestions?

Me: Homeowner

Shopping for: Two top-of-the-line in-duct/Central-HVAC units/systems

Current: Two Guardian-Aire units

Situation: Replaced bulbs in the last 12-months ... Now both units have failed

Suggestions / Help?

guardian air is a very reliable system provided you DONT cycle them on and off. run them 24/7/365 with constant airflow past them for best results. their units have a 3 year bulb longevity before replacement.

12 months sounds like too many on/off cycles or horrible power surging.

mine lasted 3 years easily.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Thanks for the information.

For reference... I run the fan constantly... No cycling. As for power surging... When I built the house I had electrical- protector (can't remember the technical name) and generator installed at both properties. I guess there could still be a more local problem. Also... When I contacted the Guardian folks... They did say that they recommend the 24v over the 12v units I have. I was unsuccessful requesting any trade-in or customer-loyalty monies...

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    guardian air is a very reliable system provided you DONT cycle them on and off. run them 24/7/365 with constant airflow past them for best results. their units have a 3 year bulb longevity before replacement.

12 months sounds like too many on/off cycles or horrible power surging.

mine lasted 3 years easily.

Doing some research and found the APCO TUV-APCO-DI-P... Thoughts?

never used it. i've always had the 12 volt ballasted RGF units so i cant comment on the 24 volt models.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

I'm surprised I didn't get a deluge of responses to this! Are there better forums I should post in? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Crist Clapper View Post
    I'm surprised I didn't get a deluge of responses to this! Are there better forums I should post in? Thanks!
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispla...sidential-HVAC

Quote Originally Posted by Crist Clapper View Post
    Suggestion: let them rest in peace and save your money. The "friendly oxidizers" touted by Guardian Air are discussed in that "forum": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil

You didn't get much response because we're fatigued of debating this (search other threads in this forum). People who sell them, however, are relentless. "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
    -If you won't turn it on then nothing else matters.

I get the over-discussed thing from other forums I'm active in. And the financial motivations make sense too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pmeunier View Post
    Suggestion: let them rest in peace and save your money. The "friendly oxidizers" touted by Guardian Air are discussed in that "forum": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil

You didn't get much response because we're fatigued of debating this (search other threads in this forum). People who sell them, however, are relentless. "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair