Post Likes

New HVAC install options

I am having most of my current HVAC system replaced in my 1431 sq foot 2 story town house which was built in the early 70's. I live in Northwest Louisiana where it gets pretty humid. I will be putting in a single stage 2.5-3 ton heat pump and matched size air handler probably either Trane or Lennox brand. The duct work in the attic will be redone, but that servicing the first floor will not. The first floor duct work will be all that remains of the old system. The air handler itself is in a closet on the first floor of the house. My questions are...

1. Should I get a whole house air cleaner with a fixed speed air handler or a 4"-5" media filter with a variable speed air handler so I could run the air handler to get added filtration when heating or cooling not needed?

2. If I should get a whole house air cleaner which system is recommended? Should I go with what Trane or Lennox offer or with a third party solution? I understand that there are systems that bring in fresh air from the outside and I am interested in that as well.

3. Whole house dehumidifier with a fixed speed air handler or a variable speed air handler with dehumidify on demand?

4. As above, if whole house dehumidifier, which one is recommended?

The variable speed air handler is quite a bit more than the fixed speed, but it seems that it would allow both the additional filtration and the whole house dehumidification without purchasing additional equipment. I just am not sure if it will be as efficient at either (probably not) or if there is any concern with using the variable speed motor fairly often to move more air across the filter. Thanks for sharing your expertise and opinions!

Post Likes
    1. Should I get a whole house air cleaner with a fixed speed air handler or a 4"-5" media filter with a variable speed air handler so I could run the air handler to get added filtration when heating or cooling not needed?

I recommend a variable speed air handler and a media filter. We (and our customers) very much enjoy the comfort features of a variable speed blower.

2. If I should get a whole house air cleaner which system is recommended? Should I go with what Trane or Lennox offer or with a third party solution? I understand that there are systems that bring in fresh air from the outside and I am interested in that as well.

3. Whole house dehumidifier with a fixed speed air handler or a variable speed air handler with dehumidify on demand?

Go all the way with this one. Whole house dehumidifier with variable speed blower. Using the air conditioner for dehumidification will over-cool the house. Our climate is humid, often 95% RH and we maintain close to 40% RH in the summer.

4. As above, if whole house dehumidifier, which one is recommended?

Honeywell is what we have. I do not have experience with other brands.