Condensor fan motor stopped

Hello there experts, I need some advice here. On my outside A/C unit, I noticed the larger copper line was frosted and the condensor fan was not running. This is on a Luxaire HABA-F048SA. I shut it down immediately. Did some poking aound and had my 230 VAC on the fan and compressor terminals. Also had the 24VAC from the t-stat. I ohmed out the phases of the fan motor and got 58 ohms on one phase and 72 ohms on another. Don't know if that is in range or not, but at least is was not shorted or open. So I replaced the dual capacitor. The unit fired right up. Do these caps usually go bad? Is this a sign that the fan motor or compressor might be failing and either one damaged the capacitor? The unit is 11 years old.
    Thanks in advance for your time/input,
    Vincent.
    Last edited by VincentR; 05-25-2007 at 07:27 PM.

You may have got the condenser fan running again but if you saw a frosted suction line, you have another problem. Changed the filter, recently?
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Frosting vapor line, while the condenser fan wasn't running.

You got trouble.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thumbs up

call service company low on charge gave them cc they well take care ,ask for new unit estimate due to 11 year old unit low freon not worth repair leak you can save same amount money energy plus comfort

presure switch open due to low on freon

it may cost you lot if you try to fix your self

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    You may have got the condenser fan running again but if you saw a frosted suction line, you have another problem. Changed the filter, recently?
    Which filter are you referring to? The hepa inside the house on the main unit or the filter on the line in the outside unit?

You have a HEPA filter on your a/c air handler? A filter that is supposed to filter 99% of particulates that pass through the filter? You either have one hell of a blower and duct system on that a/c of yours or your HEPA filter is the cause of the frosting suction line.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

The system has an "Aprilaire High Efficiency" air cleaner. Model 2200. Uses filter media #201. It is this one.....Aprilaire 2200
    Maybe I am describing it wrong, but I thought that was a HEPA style filter??
    Anyway, when you asked if the filter had been changed recently. Is that the one you were referring to? It was changed 2 weeks ago. I install a new media every 12 months.
    Last edited by VincentR; 05-26-2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling error

it is all well and good you can trouble shoot your unit to your abilities
    the caps do go bad

frost is signs of a differant problem and is beyond your expertice
    time to have the unit looked at by a pro and find out why it is frosting up

Unit was inspected today. Nothing wrong with it. It's been running fine all weekend since I replaced the dual run capacitor. Could the frosting on the line inside of the condensor unit been cause by not having the fan running? Since there was no air flow being drawn through the condensor, the line just got real cold???
    Anyway,...being that the condensor fan motor is also 11 years old, I would like to get a new one of those as well. The original is a 1/6 HP, 850 RPM from AO Smith Electric. Seems that I can only find generic replacements that are rated at 1/6 HP, 825 RPM. The 25 RPM less should be no issue should it? Both the old motor and the new one are also 1.1 amps.
    Thanks!!

There will be a performance hit in running less air through the condensing unit when using that newer motor, so I'd skip it. Your system's 11 years old, so think of it as a 65-70 year old human. Definitely not dead but getting up there in age. If you want to transplant new "lungs" to the system, you can...but I wouldn't change it if it's running -- save that money for a new system. At best, you've got 5-8 years remaining on that unit's life. At worst, 1-5.

Aaaaahhh ..

just go buy that new motor ...

it'll work fine

Quote Originally Posted by VincentR View Post
    Could the frosting on the line inside of the condensor unit been cause by not having the fan running? Since there was no air flow being drawn through the condensor, the line just got real cold???
    the condenser fan not running will have (NOTHING) to do with the lines inside of the condenser frosting!

unless you were in the heating mode on a heat pump!