Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about heat pump lineset

We just purchased a home, approx 1 year old. It has a Carrier Infinity heat pump split unit (410a). I'm in Birmingham AL and the days are starting to get pretty warm. To tell you the truth, I'm not real happy with this system, so I'm nosing around it the other day checking things out. In an AC unit, the small, un-insulated copper line should be warm/hot correct? and the large insulated line should be cool/wet? Should it be the same for a heat pump?

I ask because the small line is cool to the touch and the large line is not condensing at all. I thought this line was supposed to be warm from pulling the heat from the return air?

This is on a 86 degree day when the inside temp reached 76 and the unit was running for a few hours.

The small, uninsulated copper line should not get hot, or even warmer than ambient. However, if your last house had an older unit that had no maintenance, that is exactly what you would expect. With a new, efficient unit such as you have on your new house, the condenser coil provides enough heat exchange to cool the refrigerant to ambient before sending it back to the evaporator (through the small line). However...
    if your unit is not cooling the house at 86 degrees, you have a problem with the system. It is far better to call a tech now that to wait til it hits 100 degrees and you can't stand it anymore. A service call from a good technician will be worth the money. Make the call.

Quote Originally Posted by smittys01 View Post
    We just purchased a home, approx 1 year old. It has a Carrier Infinity heat pump split unit (410a). I'm in Birmingham AL and the days are starting to get pretty warm. To tell you the truth, I'm not real happy with this system, so I'm nosing around it the other day checking things out. In an AC unit, the small, un-insulated copper line should be warm/hot correct? and the large insulated line should be cool/wet? Should it be the same for a heat pump?

I ask because the small line is cool to the touch and the large line is not condensing at all. I thought this line was supposed to be warm from pulling the heat from the return air?

This is on a 86 degree day when the inside temp reached 76 and the unit was running for a few hours.
    the correct answer for your situation would be to call a qualified hvac company and ask for a tune-up, your theories are half way correct!

As has already been said, make the call. Youll be glad you did.
    Sounds like a simple fix.

Thanks all. I will call a tech next week. Is there anything in particular I should ask him to do? What exactly should a check-up consist of?

Thanks all. I will call a tech next week. Is there anything in particular I should ask him to do? What exactly should a check-up consist of?

The best thing to do would be to stay out of his way and let him do his job...

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    The best thing to do would be to stay out of his way and let him do his job...
    That's kind of a useless smart-ass answer don't you think? With all the half-ass AC guys out there, I just wanted to get an idea of what should be done, so I can make sure it gets done. Instead of helping me out, you chime in with an attitude. If you have anything helpful to say, I would appreciate it. If not, go troll someone elses thread.

Read This Thread, It Might Help You Out As Far As What Things Might Be Done For A "Tune-Up":

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ghlight=spring

Quote Originally Posted by jasruby79 View Post
    Read This Thread, It Might Help You Out As Far As What Things Might Be Done For A "Tune-Up":
    Thanks man

If it's a Carrier Infinity heat pump (as in the heat pump outside says Infinity on it), the heat pump is a 2-stage. In such case, it probably will run all day long, almost always on low stage. This is by design. What temperature did you set it for? If you set it for 76F and it ran all day to maintain 76F, it probably is doing what it should. Knock it down to 74F and see if it kicks over to high-stage cooling and the temperature should start to drop.

Tip: If you hold down the right arrow button on the right side of the thermostat (directly above the red & blue buttons) for 3 seconds, it'll show you a detailed status screen of what it's actually doing. If it says "AC: Low Stage" while running continuously during the day, you're in good shape. It may periodically switch between high & low stage as needed.

What are you unhappy about with the system? The equipment's pretty good, the install is usually where the problems are with these.

Quote Originally Posted by tpa-fl View Post
    If it's a Carrier Infinity heat pump (as in the heat pump outside says Infinity on it), the heat pump is a 2-stage. In such case, it probably will run all day long, almost always on low stage. This is by design. What temperature did you set it for? If you set it for 76F and it ran all day to maintain 76F, it probably is doing what it should. Knock it down to 74F and see if it kicks over to high-stage cooling and the temperature should start to drop.

Tip: If you hold down the right arrow button on the right side of the thermostat (directly above the red & blue buttons) for 3 seconds, it'll show you a detailed status screen of what it's actually doing. If it says "AC: Low Stage" while running continuously during the day, you're in good shape. It may periodically switch between high & low stage as needed.

What are you unhappy about with the system? The equipment's pretty good, the install is usually where the problems are with these.
    It was set at 72 degrees. It is the Infinity and it does have the Infinity humidistat. I realize that these things are more efficient the longer they run, but do I really want this thing running all day? How is that efficient?

Maybe I was too strong when I said "unhappy". The cool copper line really confused me. I thought it was supposed to be warm (removing heat) and when it wasn't I assumed the worst. I read up on the infinity before we bought the house, then yesterday it got up to 76 inside. I was a little freaked out.

I'll do the right button for 3 seconds today to see what it is doing. Thanks for the tip.

If it's set to 72F, it should be able to maintain 72F on an 86F day. And yes, you really do want it to run all day if it's running on low most of the time. A toaster or hair dryer uses more electricity than my entire Infinity AC system uses on low. Not being able to reach 72F doesn't sound right and if it's not running right, you can forget about efficiency. The service tech should be able to get it working properly again. Make sure you go with a company that's familiar with the Carrier Infinity systems...otherwise they might think the system is running in normal high stage when it's actually running in some other mode with the compressor on high.

Quote Originally Posted by tpa-fl View Post
    A toaster or hair dryer uses more electricity than my entire Infinity AC system uses on low.

how many amps combined does your infinity run on low, including compressor, condenser fan, and air handler?

what size system are you running?

how many amps does your toaster pull?

Last edited by Airmechanical; 05-26-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast