Scratch and Dent Deal - Worth it???

So I've got some quotes for new furnaces. Lennox and Bryant are the mfgs. The Bryant salesman has what is essentially a scratch and dent deal he would like to make.

Apparently the installer cut the hole on the wrong side of the unit which was installed at a customers place and has been there for a week (only running AC, so just the blower on the furnace). Tomorrow they are going to take out the unit and install a unit without a side that had to be re-welded shut as the customer may sell his place soon and doesn't want to have to field questions about his furnace looking like he bought it used. He ensures me there would be no efficiency loss and basically it amounts to cosmetic effects only. The unit, Evolution System 96t Gas Furnace (986T), is the right size for my house and would be cheaper than the same size unit on a lesser model (925T).

It's a very reputable installer: Angie's List award recipient, A+ in BBB, well rated on Yelp, Bryant award winner, and has a 100% satisfaction guarantee (the reason why is it getting pulled from the existing customer). The company would back the full mfg warranty and their company warranty on labor/parts from the date of the install at my place if I choose. He hasn't provided the quote yet but said "basically" I would get the unit free and would pay for the labor.

I've got some pretty favorable prices on Lennox systems around the same ball park I think he is going to quote me (started to say pricing but said he would have to confirm the price the boss brings it back into inventory at before giving me a price, hence the "basically free"). The Lennox system would be the EL195E or the EL296E, both close to what he started to say. I know discussing price is not allowed, but are you able to comment on the usual % labor and material make up of a proposal? If I can get the brand new out of the box Lennox system installed for $X then if the Bryant furnace is actually free should be Y% of $X.

At the same time let me ask: Would you put a furnace that has been installed somewhere else for a week in your house?

I would, if you don't get it it'll probably end up in one of the guys that works at the company's house. If ask to see pics or see it before accepting it though.

I would too. It's a furnace not a new car.

if you truly get a great deal go for it other wise ask or a new one
    We really need change now

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-05-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Thanks for the replies. It's helpful to know it's safe to accept a system that was installed elsewhere for a short period of time.

I'm still trying to figure out how to determine what a "good deal" would be on it. Looks like he offered it at the same price as a Bryant single stage 60k BTU 92% AFUE, which clearly would indicate there is some charge for the used furnace and not a labor only deal. The S&D model is two-stage 40-60k BTU and 96.5 AFUE.

This would be around the same price I was quoted for a Lennox 70k BTU 95% single stage.

I have asked for a picture (great idea) and I suppose I may have some negotiating room with the facts I have listed above.

i dought tht he is going to give you the furnace as them furnaces are expensive to purchase . although it sounds like a fair deal , see if he will through in a infinity control .what are you doing for air.

I have a 2.5ton Lennox ac unit I replaced in 2005. As far as I know that is fine, however a power outage appears to have fried my control board on my current Lennox g26q3-75-6 which was installed in 1999(70k btu 92%).

I could have the board swapped or move to a newer model.

Some manufacturers require the unit to be registered after install. As long as it was not registered in someone else's name/address I would grab it.

If the only thing wrong with the G26 is the control board then have a new board installed. They're not too expensive for parts and it's a 10 minute job so labor should be reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    If the only thing wrong with the G26 is the control board then have a new board installed. They're not too expensive for parts and it's a 10 minute job so labor should be reasonable.
    x2