cfm's of pipe sizes??

I have been calling 5-50cfm...6-100cfm..7-150cfm...8-200cfm on flex & then a 10 hard pipe as 400 cfm..12 hard pipe 600cfm I think..meaning really how important is it to duct out exactly 1600 tons of air to a 4 ton unit?? What if I go over say 200 cfm meaning duct 1800 cfm on a 4 ton or use a 3.5 unit(1400cfm) with a 1600 duct system..where do I draw the line as to over ducting to a unit...Ive heard some people say a 6 is 125cfm & 7-200cfm & 8-225-250cfm..Are there any good charts or anything out there to know for sure how to duct per ton of air??
    Thanks,Brian

Not sure if this is what you are after, but there is a chart here and a diagram here.

What you are not addressing is the velocity of the airflow. As the CFM goes up on a given size duct, the air velocity goes up too. While you could push 200 CFM through a 6" metal duct, it would be quite noisy with it moving at about 1,000 FPM.

Manual D and a ductulator should provide you with the info you need.

CFM is only part of it. There is also FPM and actual SP to consider along with grill size. A good airflow will be felt on a 6" pipe at 160 CFM through a 4x10 register. However on the very same system a 6" might also only put out 90 CFM through a 4x10 register and will feel gentle. Go with sizing by Manual D and you'll get what you want where you want it.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Each job is different,more duct,90's ,takoff,distribution boxes,etc., the larger the duct will need to be .

Plus with a PSC motor ,you need to set the fan speed buy checking the static and using a fan chart.

If the load calc shows a high latent load, and you have 1800cfm going through a 4 ton system, you won't be able to keep the humidity under control.

If you have a sensible load, and only 1400cfm on a 4 ton unit, you won't pull the temp down.

So how important is it for the systems you install to do what they are suppose to do.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?