Frown Carrier Electronic Air Filters - Please Help

I have a Carrier 31KAX016110 electronic air filter...about 10 years old. I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of filters are necessary. I hear there is a pre and post filter...but I've never seen either of these. The only filter I have installed is a blue plastic type 'wool' filter that doesn't look like it would filter out anything!

Anyone point me to the correct filter(s) and, perhaps, where I can get these? Available at places like WalMart?

That blue filter is 'hoghair', it won't filter the air. Is the bottom panel of the EAC flat or dished? I would recommened you call a service company for maintance, the AC evaporator coil could be very plugged with dirt/debries causing high cooling cost and heat exchanger damage in the heating cycle. luck dan

Ooops, I'll try it again.
    Last edited by big johnson; 05-24-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Is this the first time that you or anyone else has opened that unit up? If so, you have more issues looming than your question refers to. Normally there is a pre and post filter. The pre-filter is there to trap the "big chunks." Walmart is not the answer. You need to contact a Carrier dealer to handle this one.

I have the same Filter / Answer

Mine is 31KAX016110 Electroinc Air Filter, there should be one pre-filter on the intake side, ( opposite to the blower fan side ) and the post filters are right in front of you, ( they are made from some metal, I guess Aluminum.

Just pull the metal filters out clean them, the pre filters can be with a brush and cloth etc, unless they are extremely dirty. I have not replaced mine in past 4-5 years.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroge View Post
    I have a Carrier 31KAX016110 electronic air filter...about 10 years old. I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of filters are necessary. I hear there is a pre and post filter...but I've never seen either of these. The only filter I have installed is a blue plastic type 'wool' filter that doesn't look like it would filter out anything!

Anyone point me to the correct filter(s) and, perhaps, where I can get these? Available at places like WalMart?