Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sears??

Question Sears??

Hello. I need some advice please.

I live on the 5th (top) floor of a 1 bedroom condominium near Chicago and I need a new central AC and heater (both are 25+ years old). My unit is about 900 square feet and I get a lot of sunlight. My central AC is on the roof. The heater is in my unit. A person from Sears came to my unit and gave me an estimate of $XXXX for a Kenmore A/C and Kenmore Heater (this price includes installation). He didn't give me any details about BTU, heat loads, model numbers, etc... but said that everything is new and will be Kenmore. The cost includes $600 for Crane rental because the "cubby hole" to access the roof is 38" x 28". Also, if I don't decide by today, the price will go up to ~$XXX.

1. Is this a good price?

2. Is Sears a good company to work with?

3. Any advice for a first-time AC/Heater purchaser?

Thanks..

Jun
    Last edited by Dad; 05-23-2007 at 06:44 PM.

No pricing per forum rules.

I would personally never use a company that tells me the price will go up if I don't sign now. That is just pressuring you into their sale. Call someone else to get another estimate. Kenmore is always just a re tagged unit (Kenmore doesn't make HVACR equipment). The last "Kenmore" I worked on was a Goodman. And yes, boom trucks are common for rooftop installations due to size and weight of the equipment.
    S**t or get off the pot!

1.) Can't really tell you if thats a good price. As subcooled mentioned, price isn't supposed to be posted here. The only way you can truly know if that is a good price is to call other installers and get other estimates. Also...I personally wouldn't even buy from someone who told me the price expires at the end of day.

2.) As subcooled also mentioned Sears does not make equipment. I had sears come out and estimate for me as well. They were selling a Kenmore but it was really a tempstar. I ended up calling a tempstar dealer directly and got a better price that the Sears quote and I felt alot more confident in the people who would be installing it.

3.) Best advice for a homeowner looking to purchase? THIS SITE. Search the forums and read what others have written. Ask questions here, there are alot of people who are more than willing to give you their opinions/advice.

Also... I might be a nightmare type customer but I wouldn't sign any contract until I knew the types of equipment, the sizes, the effeciencies and etc.

If you have to decide by today or the price will go up.
    Tell them NO. If they say they can hold it for another day or 2, tell them NO.

Call a couple more contractors.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jun View Post
    .Also, if I don't decide by today, the price will go up to ~$5500.
    Jun

OMG!!! Hurry up but first read this whole thread.

http://www2.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=138526
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you have to decide by today or the price will go up.
    Tell them NO. If they say they can hold it for another day or 2, tell them NO.

Call a couple more contractors.
    Agreed. Do NOT make a decision of this magnitude under pressure!

Be advised, "Kenmore" is nothing but badge engineering, has been forever. My own house has a "Kenmore" split system but I know darn tootin' it's a Goodman. Even says so when you look closer than the label Sears slapped on the thing before sending it out the door.

If you own an older Kenmore washing machine it's likely made by Whirlpool.

Bottom line, tell that pushy sales lout to take a flying leap off a high cliff. Do NOT do business with one who dangles price over your head over anything else!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Thank you for the replies.

1. I apologize for posting the estimate price. I will not do this in the future.

2. Thanks for your quick replies. I was very close to calling the Sears Rep and signing on. After reading your replies, I will be doing more research..

Jun

where are you in chicago? im local....my email is in my profile.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jun View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

1. I apologize for posting the estimate price. I will not do this in the future.

2. Thanks for your quick replies. I was very close to calling the Sears Rep and signing on. After reading your replies, I will be doing more research..

Jun
    If your equipment is still functioning, time is on your side. Search the forums, call for more estimates, and talk to friends/neighbors about who installed/services their equipment. Your not buying a pack of gum, your investing a lot of money. Best to choose wisely.
    S**t or get off the pot!

Sears subs out all their installations and does not pay the installing contractor enough to do the job correctly so they cut corners or lose money on the job. I would suggest you call other contractors. All Kenmore units are ICP products. I have never seen a Goodman unit labled as Kenmore. I don't think ICP would be to happy if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dngtig View Post
    All Kenmore units are ICP products. I have never seen a Goodman unit labled as Kenmore. I don't think ICP would be to happy if that was the case.
    That may be true now, but there are plenty of Kenmore badged Goodman units out there. The ones I have seen just had a plastic Kenmore badge on them, the model sticker was still the Goodman sticker.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    That may be true now, but there are plenty of Kenmore badged Goodman units out there. The ones I have seen just had a plastic Kenmore badge on them, the model sticker was still the Goodman sticker.
    Exactly. The one I worked one last weak just had the Kenmore plastic snap on badge. It was from '94.
    S**t or get off the pot!

consider yourself lucky they didn't show up next week, it would be even more.

Obviously a shady guy, bail fast and don't look back.

Note: We do have an 8-10% equipment price increase beginning June 1st. Perhaps he's in the same boat. But you still have time if it's still working.
    Last edited by billva; 05-23-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added note.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast