Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Miserable hot girl and her AC

Hello guys,

I've had this AC for four years now (LG Electronics 12,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Combo, White, LP1200DXR). It's used for 4-6 hours just about every day. In the four years, I've never had to drain out the water once (never). Then suddenly this weekend, it gives me the 'Full Water' alert, so fine, I drained it and got a half gallon of water.

Went to sleep with it on, and woke up 6 hours later with 'Full Water' again (another half gallon). Then next morning, 'Full Water'; again! (another half gallon). And this morning again.

It's been hot in CA, but every day after four years of dry?! What's going on here? The manual implies in only holds a half gallon. What is possibly broken?

Please help before I blow hundreds THANK YOU THANK YOU

Sounds like excessive humidity levels in the house. Has anything changed with the building envelope? e.g. new windows/doors/insulation. Change in lifestyle? More home cooking, more showering, more people? Have you cleaned the air filter on the AC unit?
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by Gym Girl View Post
    Hello guys,

I've had this AC for four years now (LG Electronics 12,000-BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Combo, White, LP1200DXR). It's used for 4-6 hours just about every day. In the four years, I've never had to drain out the water once (never). Then suddenly this weekend, it gives me the 'Full Water' alert, so fine, I drained it and got a half gallon of water.

Went to sleep with it on, and woke up 6 hours later with 'Full Water' again (another half gallon). Then next morning, 'Full Water'; again! (another half gallon). And this morning again.

It's been hot in CA, but every day after four years of dry?! What's going on here? The manual implies in only holds a half gallon. What is possibly broken?

The moisture is coming from the air that it serves. And it is possible that you are now cooling with a high enough humidity in the air to require constant removal. Before it may have been condensing moisture but during down time it re-evaporated. Is it still cooling? Possibly if the cooling is dimensioning the coil could be freezing and thawing causing the water level to increase.

Thanks Doc and 2nd Op,

I live on the top floor of a California style bungalow apartments, the weather has been crazy hot but the humidity is ~50%.

No change in my lifestyle at all, even less cooking fro the heat, furniture haven't move, no new installation, though the windows have been shut to keep the place cool. I vacuum the dust filter regularly, the outside shell is sparking clean. The unit sits underneath a window, it has big outlet hose which is mostly sealed against the window (so very little outside air comes through).

Hmm,... I just noticed something, but let me get a second response first. ;P

Nevermind that 'something' was an advice on how to attach a hose to let it constant drain. But what I do see is that for the past week, although the humidity seems normal 50-60% during the day time, it's been going to 90%+ during the AM hours!

That's a lot isn't it? Could that be the cause? If so, how do I protect against it?

See screen shot: http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090...78232135946393

Hard to believe you used it for years with no condensate.

Perhaps the apartments a/c system isn't removing the humidity as it once did- Perhaps not running as long or there is a problem with it.

Thanks Walterc, My unit is a portable though, not a central air system.

Gym girl, your post does not belong here. It belongs in the AOP or "ask our Pro's" forum.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Oops, busted. I'll move the question there, thanks.

I don't see 'ask our Pros' on the main page, is there a link? (No idea what AOP is)

Hot girl and her AC

Hello guys,

Although the humidity seems normal 50-60% during the day time, I just noticed that for the past week, it's been going to 90%+ during the AM hours.

That's a lot isn't it? Could that be the cause? If so, how do I protect against it?

See screen shot: http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090...78232135946393

*** Discussion moved to AoP ***

It's not really the humidity measurement (in % Relative Humidity), it's the Dew Point, that will determine how much moisture is produced by the dehumidification of the AC. Cali, in the last week or so, has had VERY high dew-points, unlike it almost ever sees. There could also be other factors - a change to how well sealed the apartment is, allowing more moisture into the apartment, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast