High Velocity A/C

I had someone come yesterday to give me an estimate on the cost and installation of a conventional central air system in my home. The installation would have to be done from scratch since I don't have any ductwork or anything like that. The house is also a tricky split level built in 1965 with approximately 1750 sq ft... kind of a unique design. The fellow that came to give me the estimate explained that I would need two units since there was not a straight area in the home where he could build a distribution channel that would connect the attic to the crawlspace... unless I were to do some funky remodeling. Well, needless to say that the estimate that I got was WAY OVER what I would have ever thought it would be (over $20K!!!). I have done some further research and learned that High Velocity A/C is a lot more flexible than conventional A/C and although some parts may be a bit more expensive, the overall project could be less expensive. At the same time, HV A/C can be more efficient than conventional. Can anyone speak a bit more about this? And, does anyone know where I can go to get someone to come to my house to give me a free estimate for the acquisition and installation of High Velocity A/C? Any help you can send this way will be SUPER appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you talking about a High Velocity kit? If so this kit is basically a larger capacity Evap motor then the one that comes with the unit. It helps when the existing ductwork isn't configured correctly.

Not exactly, I am not talking about a kit. Check this link where someone talks about the differences between conventional vs. high velocity: http://reviews.houseinprogress.net/archives/000646.html

just about any hvac contractor should be able to give you a quote on a space pak, or otehh hi v systems. Search around on this forum to get good advice about choosing a contractor. Make sure they run a load calc. etc. Spend a little time reading opther posts here and you will be more informed consumer.

the materials are 4X what you will be expecting for Hi-V

perhaps you can't afford central air, and should look at spot cooling

you would be talking about Unico split/system.

www.Unicosystem.com
    Unico Interactive House Media
    If you would like to explore the advantages that Unico System has to offer for your home or business please click on the image below. Depending on your Internet connection speed it will take 10-30 seconds to load the animation into your browser. If you would like us to send you the presentation please fill out the form and we will send a CD/ROM to your postal address. If you have any challenges loading the presentation please call 800-527-0896 or send an email to help@unicosystem.com.
    Sincerely, Unico System, Inc.
    For an informative, animated overview of The Unico System click here or on the image to the left. The Unico System has been featured on several television shows that you can view by clicking on one of these links. "This Old House" Cambridge MA., or HGTV's Michael Holigans
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>