Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Selling techs vs no selling techs

What are your opinions on a business using selling techs, which in turn takes away from commissions and sales from the sales force?

I recently purchased my system from a local company. They have sales people, install people and tech people. (Not to mention office people, etc.) The salesperson almost made me want to choose another company. He was always in "sell" mode. I chose the company based on their reputation not the salespersons over-eagerness.
    The installers did good, but had problems finalizing the install and had to call a
    "tech" out to assist them. The tech was very knowledgable in the products and he was very helpful in answering any question I could throw at him.
    Based on my experience with this company and these specific individuals, I would have been happier had the final tech been the salesperson.
    Of course...I did buy the system, so I guess the salesguy did his part. I am also using the same company to put A/C in my in-laws house this thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by jasruby79 View Post
    Based on my experience with this company and these specific individuals, I would have been happier had the final tech been the salesperson.
    Me too.

My salesguy was a pure salesman. It was clear he didn't know much about HVAC. I suspect I was better informed than he. He made multiple mistakes, which I had to diplomatically try to correct. He promised things that were not possible. It took him DAYS to return calls.

He was certainly a nice enough guy. But I would have GREATLY preferred to have dealt with someone that had experience and expertise as an HVAC tech.

When I was a tech in the field I would sell. Now that I'm the GM I still sell when some one calls up wanting an estimate. I don't however beat them with a shoe until they sign on the dotted line.
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

I totally agree. I don't want to deal with a sales guy. I want to deal with someone who can talk to me about how best to solve my issues. The sales guy approach is great for someone who just wants the whole process to be transparent and not inconvience them in the least. They will have piece of mind knowing that they are dealing with a company that has whole page in the phone book and is licensed, bonded and insured. All this is well and good, but from what I have experienced you are going to get hosed and not even know it. What you don't know you can't worry about. "Don't worry mrs. Jones we have been installing systems for over 100 years and we have many happy customers and letters to prove it. Blah Blah Blah.

I guess i fall into the "selling technician" category. I dont consider myself a salesman by no means, but i currently work for a company that pays you for what you do. We call it "Performance Pay" basically its commission pay. So, yes i show up to a service call to actually fix the problem, but when you get paid for what you fix, it makes you almost have the "salesman" mentality.

I get 20% of the total ticket so when a fan motor is bad, yes im gunna get my cut for replacing that fan motor, but to make the most money i can out of a call im also looking to see if the condenser coils need to be cleaned, if the evaporator coil needs to be jerked and cleaned, if they need attic insulation, etc etc.

And yes if i was workin hourly like i have at any other place, i would just fix it and move on. But when you get paid for what you do, or "sell" it makes you almost go into salesman mode even if you hate being a salesman. In the end it profits the company the most but it really makes for a nice paycheck at the end of the week when you can make between 50 to 200 dollars for yourself...per call.

it took me awhile to get into the "salesman tech" mode but after you make more in 1 week than you normally do in an entire month it kinda forces you to be a salesman in a way.

We charge by the hour and do not pay commission on parts. I have seen too many companies abuse that. I have seen capacitors replaced that were OK and have seen people told they needed a new system when it was easy and cost effective to fix.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Theres a tech at my work that thinks when he puts his little capacitor testor on a capacitor and if it dosent show the value thats listed on the side of the cap, they need a new one. And i dont know how he does it but he makes a darn good living selling capacitors.

We pay commissions to the techs. It's also known that if they start raping and pilaging like pirates that it will the end of comms and bonuses.
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

And i dont think its the "companies" that abuse the Commision way of things, its the tech abusing it. The company makes bank off of us techs, but arent the ones doin the sellin of the parts.

We have 7 salesman and ALL have worked in our trade,with rebates and tax credits and credit checks and follow up the 45 techs are to busy taking care of the tune ups and broken stuff.Sales runs job gets payed on how will job goes in,guys get Bonus if there is not any service calls for first year on something we did.I felt that if the techs sell they stay in the home too long and they tend to sell BASE equipment.The place I worked before Pre 13 SEER days sold more outdoor units then systems,I put a stop to that,and took the pressure off them and they made just as much $$$.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Atticmonkey777 View Post
    Theres a tech at my work that thinks when he puts his little capacitor testor on a capacitor and if it dosent show the value thats listed on the side of the cap, they need a new one. And i dont know how he does it but he makes a darn good living selling capacitors.
    As long as I am owner, that will not happen at my company. Just another way to abuse the customer.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I think, in general a tech who can sell stuff is a better option. If'n I were to buy something, I think I'd feel more comfortable talking about it with someone who deals with it every day with their hands, not someone with papers and looks at pictures.

I don't sell much really... but I do listen to the customers and let them sell. 5 minutes talking with them about their house can give you a lot of ideas. With out ever saying it, a lot of them will be wanting a prog stat, humidifier, better filters, maintenance agreements, heck some are even willing to replace working equipment to save on their bills (those are tough to find).

Oddly enough though, I don't make anything on the sales other than my hourly wage.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Testo... you guys rule!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast