+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ontario Refrigeration Apprenticeship

Post Likes

Ontario Refrigeration Apprenticeship

So with the 5 year refrigeration apprenticeship, you sign onto your journeyman, who from what i understand makes 32-38$ an hour (correct me if I am wrong)
    then you make wages according to what year your in (percentages)
    how does your gas license affect this rate of pay?
    as in a gas 2, or, a gas 1 technician doing his refrigeration apprenticeship

just curious on what the normal is

also, if you have refrigeration hours that you can use after your signed on, what years are good to use them?

Post Likes
    Getting your gas license is expected but not manditory. Altho there are gas and oil questions on your c of Q. If you work for a refrigeration company they might not work on any gas equipment. It doesn't affect the pay. The pay scale you mention is accuratefor union companies. Some non union shops may pay the same but on top of your rate is your benefits, and pension which add almost another $8 per hour.
    refrigeration workers of Ontario

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!
    Post Likes

Arrow ontario refrigeration isnt worth working for

In my opinion!

Post Likes
    isitfixedyet
    You can't make a statement like that without clarification. I would like to know your reasons.
    My opion is that it's an interesting career, with a great demand and is probably the most stable of trades. Plus making $100,000 a year is a great wage for a so called blue collar worker. Not to mention the many areas you can specialize in if you get bored or don't like certain areas.

Post Likes
    AK

About the only province where gas fitting is a trade that I am aware of is Alberta. Gas fitting is a ticket that plumbers, sheet metal workers, refrigeration mechanics can get.

Most likely the wage for apprentices will be a percentage of what journeyman make, so it depends on what that company is paying journeyman,at least it was like that for sheet metal workers.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by guy787north View Post
    isitfixedyet
    You can't make a statement like that without clarification. I would like to know your reasons.
    My opion is that it's an interesting career, with a great demand and is probably the most stable of trades. Plus making $100,000 a year is a great wage for a so called blue collar worker. Not to mention the many areas you can specialize in if you get bored or don't like certain areas.
    He has no clue guy, don't worry about him
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Exeryone can have an opion, but to make a satement like that without an explation isn't right. I make a good living in this industry and am bothered when people insult it.

Post Likes

Cool

I would say someone that makes a comment like that most likely could not handle the challenges that we HVAC&R mechanics go through.
    I have been in this trade for 18 years and it has been nothing but good to me.

If anyone is interested in rates they should go to the UA Local 787 website, the rates that everyone looks to are there (even the plumbers). I hope everyone realizes UA Local 787 HVAC&R Mechanics are KING in the Trades for wages right across the province.

Post Likes
    To answer the OP question
    the apprenticeship % is based upon the hrly wage excluding the gas ticket portion. (unless as in BC the gst liscence is incorperated into the base pay rate then you get the %)

generally apprentices get the lower grade gas liscence in their school last yrs

the bennifits may also be %ed except the medical ( this is to prevent the apprentices from having to top up the medical payments monthly)

yo ugenerally start at 40% 1st yr pre apprentice then every 6 months you get 5% after the 1st yr you are considered a regular 1st yr apprentice at 50% of a journeymans rate then every 6 months 5% increase

your employer can choose to pay you above rate if they wish - so if you currently have your gas liscence when you are an apprentice some employers may consider paying you for the ticket (NOT BLOODY LIKELY THOUGH)
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Your best bet in this trade is to work for yourself. Depending on how well you understand refrigeration, you're a rare commidity with less competitors than say electricians or plumbers.

Post Likes
    you are crazy to work for your self in this trade.

I work for a company and all I have to do is make sure I do a good job and pay day is on thursday.

I have not missed a beat for the last 12 years and am making 120 000 a year and home on the weekend with holidays

Life is good

Post Likes
    I guess it depends where you live. I'm from Squamish BC and our rate right now Is 120 an hour plus time and materials for most non-quoted jobs. Again where I live there are very few refrig mechanics and even fewer people who understand it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrobb89 View Post
    I guess it depends where you live. I'm from Squamish BC and our rate right now Is 120 an hour plus time and materials for most non-quoted jobs. Again where I live there are very few refrig mechanics and even fewer people who understand it
    Most Van Island contractors are sub-$100/hr charge out.....is the $120 reflected by the Olympics keeping you guys too busy do you think???

I believe Vancouver proper is all sub $100/hr charge out too is it not?
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

Post Likes
    this is an old thread, but the title is appropriate for my question.

how do I find refrigeration apprenticeship in Ontario? I would like to get my 313a and making more money than now.

I have an OK job atm w/ lower than avg pay, but it gets my feet wet and learn different aspect of the trade and dealing w/ crazy customers. I know I would like to go to commercial/industrial side of things. Meanwhile, my company has just signed up w/ climatecare group and seems to be pursuing resi market. Which is good for them, but not so much for me.

All I do most of the time lately is installing those peaksaver thermostat, w/ some RTU PM and service call here and there. But there isn't any money for me as tech as the skill requirement is not that great, hence the lower than avg pay. I felt like I'm getting dumber as the day goes by as I don't use/expand most of what I learned in trade school. I do sell some maintenance plan and bring in some resi sales leads to the office every now and then (we get commision for this). But it's not something I can count on income wise.

I looked at UA787 website, but not sure what to take from it. Some advice is greatly appreciated.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    you can call Andrew one of the union reps he might be able to help out

416-795-7870

Post Likes
    I will give a call next week then. I will also try local 527 in Kitchener.

Post Likes
    527 is for plumbers 787 is for hvac and refrigeration

Post Likes
    ok, thanks for the clarification.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ak87 View Post
    So with the 5 year refrigeration apprenticeship, you sign onto your journeyman, who from what i understand makes 32-38$ an hour (correct me if I am wrong)
    then you make wages according to what year your in (percentages)
    how does your gas license affect this rate of pay?
    as in a gas 2, or, a gas 1 technician doing his refrigeration apprenticeship

just curious on what the normal is

also, if you have refrigeration hours that you can use after your signed on, what years are good to use them?
    Ontario refrigeration is lame. Go union brother. Best pay, benifits, retirement pension and 401k, and if you get fired they find a job for you. Be professional. Don't settle for those lame ass slave driving none union scabs, who do not give a rats ass about you, go union and be happy. Take it from an apprentice already in the union.

Post Likes
    If u can get into a union company and signed up do it, as long as your not a total handicap you will have a job for life. To make the big bucks you ll have to go commercial, and the only way you wont need a gas ticket is if your company has steady contracts with grocery stores or places that have refridgeration going on all year round because obviously winter time a/c is off in most places. The companies around where i live do heating as well mostly large roof top units at factories etc. So you will need a Gas Tech 2 ticket at the very least and maybe a G1 if the company has enough work on units over 400 000 btu. Chances are the company after they hire you will send you for your G3 then you can still work on all the stuff as long as your with your journeyman. The g3 course is 500 bucks or so (someone correct me if i am wrong its been a while since i wrote mine) and chances are if your with a big company they will pay for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in