Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lennox HS6-311-13FFC cool but not cold?

Hi all,

I have an OLD Lennox model HS6-311-13FFC that runs but is not very cold. For example I noticed it took over 1 or 2 hours for me to notice my thermostat to drop 1 degree. I observed the condensor outside and it seems it is not cycleing on or off (it runs continously). I am wondering if this is normal since this was built during the 1980's ? I looked at the line to my evaperator core and noticed there was frost on one of the lines and was wondering if this is normal too? Here is a quick summary hopefully it helps out:

Outside ambient air temperature: 71 degrees
    Inside home thermostat: 74 degrees
    Time taken to drop 1 degree: about an 1 or 2
    Evaperator Coil: One line frozon

Am I low on refridegerant? I had the tech come out today, he didn't hook up a gauge to check pressure, I noticed he put some measuring device near the compessor to check the temperature. He said everything seems fine. If I leave this running I think it'll run 24x7 without any temperature change and the condensor outside will continue to run continously...

Quote Originally Posted by max7687 View Post
    Hi all,

I have an OLD Lennox model HS6-311-13FFC that runs but is not very cold. For example I noticed it took over 1 or 2 hours for me to notice my thermostat to drop 1 degree. I observed the condensor outside and it seems it is not cycleing on or off (it runs continously). I am wondering if this is normal since this was built during the 1980's ? I looked at the line to my evaperator core and noticed there was frost on one of the lines and was wondering if this is normal too? Here is a quick summary hopefully it helps out:

Outside ambient air temperature: 71 degrees
    Inside home thermostat: 74 degrees
    Time taken to drop 1 degree: about an 1 or 2
    Evaperator Coil: One line frozon

Am I low on refridegerant? I had the tech come out today, he didn't hook up a gauge to check pressure, I noticed he put some measuring device near the compessor to check the temperature. He said everything seems fine. If I leave this running I think it'll run 24x7 without any temperature change and the condensor outside will continue to run continously...
    i would shut it off..like NOW..
    was there ice on this thing when the tech came out???.it could be a number off problems...

Shut the system off if you don't want compressor damage and call another company for service. You got ripped off by the first guy.

If the repair costs several hundred dollars, you should consider replacing it with something more efficient.

That unit is most likely only 6 or 7 SEER.

have you changed your indoor filter???

Lennox stopped making the HS6 in 1970. That's a relic. Time to replace all!

Quote Originally Posted by d_griff View Post
    have you changed your indoor filter???
    Yes, recently replaced filter (about 2 months ago).

Quote Originally Posted by d_griff View Post
    i would shut it off..like NOW..
    was there ice on this thing when the tech came out???.it could be a number off problems...
    Yes, there was ice on it when the tech was out. He said that this is normal. After the unit was ran for over 2 hours I noticed it was frosted and was completely white.

First of, shut the A/C off and keep it off till you get someone else to look at it.

Second, call back the company that sent the tech out and speak to someone in charge.

At 71 ambient and 74 inside you could probly open your windows and get 1 degree temp drop in 2 hour, wouldn't help with humidity, but still. I'd recon you got somethign wrong with it.

The information you've provided us isn't enough for anyone to do anything but begin to guess at what is wrong, if the tech that was out didn't (and it sounds like he didn't) provide you with more information than "seems to be working fine to me" then you need to either get your money back for the service call or have the company send out a more experience tech to diagnose it free of charge.

At a minimum the tech should have checked and recorded on the invoice suction pressure, head presssure, super heat , subcool, supply air temp, return air temp, ambient temp. Amps draws of all motors and voltages are good too.

Also like others have said, I'd recomend replaceing the system rather than a expensive repair. What you've got is well past it's normal service life and a new system would probly be about 40% cheaper to run.
    What's my post count now?
    UA Local 636

Yes, there was ice on it when the tech was out. He said that this is normal. After the unit was ran for over 2 hours I noticed it was frosted and was completely white.
    well the ice is not normal on an high temp a/c..he may have been a refrigeration mechanic and thinking wrong..it is normal on low temp stuff..
    well i would callback the company and explain..also tell them you want a experienced mechanic..like stated already..its hard to know what is wrong.
    we could guess all night at it..but i would leave it off until it is looked at again.
    running it will cause damage..
    is the indoor fan running????

hs6 is probably 40 yrs old, Baldloonie gave you the best advice...

get rid of that old beast!!!!!!!!!

I just worked on an HS6 last week. Typical rental property old equipment, dirty filter, and dirty coil. The real problem was that funky looking cont actor finally welded itself closed and the unit wouldn't shut off.

If a technician come to your house to check/repair your A/C and doesn't hookup gauges...tell him to leave cause he's wasting your time and money!
    S**t or get off the pot!

i don't know about that sub if i get a 20 degree td. With a sight glass im not hooking my gauges up. with 6 foot hoses your gonna loose an ounce or 2 of refrigerent

Yes, recently replaced filter (about 2 months ago).

Unless you have a VERY clean house, 2 months ago is not recently enough. If you have a pleated or high efficiency plastic filter, the filter is likely reducing air flow. Repkace it with a cheap fiberglass filter. Also, on a system that old, you should consider getting your blower wheel and indoor coil cleaned to improve air flow.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast