Heating for garage

Construction is about complete on our new house and I had two propane outlets installed in my 1000 sq ft L-shaped garage. I would like some suggestions on the type of heaters to use for heating the garage. I plan to use limited heat for some shop use and to melt snow off cars. I was told by the propane company that there are radiant heaters that will do the job quite well. Just wondering what the options are? Tks John

I've always been uncomfortable with any form of combustion heating in a garage, for reasons that are obvious.
    In mine, I have a minisplit heat pump. Yes, it melts snow fast, probably faster than radiant, because it can get heat UNDER the car, judging by the major squeegee I use to get all the damn water, sand, and salt out of the place!
    Plus, I have air conditioning in the summer!
    In mine, I installed a Daikin, although, if I were to do it again, I'd go with a Fujitsu, as they are somewhat more efficient and a bit less pricey. At least around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by mongo3037 View Post
    Construction is about complete on our new house and I had two propane outlets installed in my 1000 sq ft L-shaped garage. I would like some suggestions on the type of heaters to use for heating the garage. I plan to use limited heat for some shop use and to melt snow off cars. I was told by the propane company that there are radiant heaters that will do the job quite well. Just wondering what the options are? Tks John

Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Heating garage

I'm not an expert but have learned the hard way, that moisture is the biggest problem when heating a garage. Tools rust only marginally slower than the cars.

I've solved the problem by installing a floor level exhaust fan (that's where the dirty moist air collects). Although I considered wiring it into the door opener, I opted for a motion sensor so that whenever we drive a car in or out of the garage, or use the side door, the fan exhausts for a programmed period of time. In the winter, I also use a low power ceiling mounted oscillating fan to help dry things out. For heat, I use a 220 commecial electric fan/heater. It really helps to keep the temperatures low unless you're actually working in the garage.

Good luck...Dave

get a modine hot dawg