Unico system runs per ton

I have a Unico system residential installation pending. The installer has noted
    six runs per ton on our contract. I know that the manufacturer requires AT LEAST this many supplies per ton, though the number six is not "written in
    stone". How often is it necessary to run 7 or 8 supplies per ton? Is it a fairly frequent need, or is it a situation that seldom occurs? Would the additional runs be added to quiet the noise when cooling, or another reason?

Please share your thoughts. Thank you all in advance.

6 full outlets per ton.

Really only need more if the length to the outlets is over 12'
    In reality, if acouple are 15' it won't hurt anything.

Loss of capacity is the reason for more outlets, if most of them are longer then 12'
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

unico

6 or 7 a ton depending on length use a minumum of at least 3 feet of atenuator and check velocity at outlets before its sheet rocked write them down so you can make sure nothing gets crushed or damaged before or during sheetrock.just installed 2 - 36 -42 2-24-30and 1 -18 checked two of the units so far most are 28 to 32 cfm a register make sure they run the plenum to the specs and seal all the joints on pipe with either foil tape with rubber backing or duct sealer and insulate duct well

Able1
    With the six runs a ton recipe is the cfm per outlet at 40, and is that much velocity prone to be noisier than people are generally comfortable with? I don't want to hinder efficiency, I do want as quiet a backround as is feasible. Is the balance between the two at the volumes you have your installs measured at?

unico

did anyone do a heat loss and gain has the contractor installed a unico system before 40 cfm at the outlet seems high I would try to keep them around 30 to 35 we usally install 7 per ton but it depends on the job and the amount of cfm the length of the runs unico blower specs call for a minimum of 200 cfm a ton so 6 at 35 =210 or 7 at30=210 blowers are capable of 250 cfm there is a restrictor plate on unit to set the cfm with a ampprobe.If system plenum is going to be installed where you wont be able to get to it after it sheetrocked make sure you operate it and check airflow at outlets some you might have to install restrictors if there a real short run just follow the instalation guide and you will be fine the ones we just installed were around 30 to 35 and they werent noisy in the past I have seen some of the rectangular outlets were noisier than the round but the ones we just got were made different then the last ones I am not sure what the cfm was at the outlet either

Running the minimum number of runs per ton can lead to the unit operating on freeze stat.I like to see more.I have added runs to several units over the years to cure airflow problems.
    Take your time & do it right!

Quote Originally Posted by markwolf View Post
    Running the minimum number of runs per ton can lead to the unit operating on freeze stat.I like to see more.I have added runs to several units over the years to cure airflow problems.
    We generally only run into air flow problems on systems where someone thinks that 20' runs are full outlets.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?