Thread: Outdoor Firepit

Outdoor Firepit

Does anyone know where I can get codes and standards regarding oudoor gas firepits? I have been seeing these become more and more popular. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Are you looking for things like clearances to combustible materials? Thats about the only thing I can think of that might apply to one of those. I can check NFPA 54 on monday when I go back to the office.

I have old version of the standard you require IAS U.S. Requirements for Outdoor Gas Fireplaces NO.4-96 Draft NO.4, there is no difference between this one and newer versions. But from what I understand there is no real standards as of yet for outdoor fireplaces that are nationally reconized, if I am incorrect please let me know. The standard is very similar to other fireplace standars with combustion , wall floor ceiling , POC and BOC and etc.

The main thing is to follow the installation manual. Each unit is different. I've seen them rated at 40k btu and up to 400k btu. I don't think the clearances would be the same on those two units !!!!

Talking fire pits

As far as I know, they are unlisted appliances and therefore not allowed in some jurisdictions. Even the wood burners can be really scary. I've seen installations where the flames would roast a person seated at a bench next to it. I've also seen overhangs way too close. Even if the overhangs don't ignite, they may provide a pathway for byproducts of combustion to enter the home. Then again, you can put a BBQ grille just about anywhere you want to.

One of many loopholes in the codes.

No safeties, no good up, in this neck of the woods!

All of the ones that I have worked on have at least a thermocouple and the newer ones have electric ignition. I saw a firepit being built on one of the DIY channels and it was just basically a log lighter in a firepit.....VERY unsafe !!!!

Most that I have dealt with must be 10' away from any structure.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing.