Water Source Heat Pump

I was able to get myself a Carrier water source Heat Pump(Cool tower/Boiler fed).
    This unit was sitting in our shop for a couple yrs brand new still in the box.

What I was thinking about, was to use it to cool my house in the summer while dumping the outlet water in my swimming pool to keep it warm in the summer.

My question is, can I convert this water source to a water cooled using city water by installing a water reg valve to control my discharge pressure? And how well will it work on heating mode with city water? Keep in mind that I live in a cold climate and have a gas furnace as my backup, so I would use the heat pump down to about 25f degrees and the gas furnace below 25f.

My other question is, since this is a package unit(horizontal 2.5 ton) with built in indoor fan and coil, my plan is to get a rid of the built in fan and Evap(indoor coil), and make it as a split system with a new "A" coil in my furnace duct work. Can I just get a Generic 2.5ton R-22 indoor coil with TXV?

Thanks for your input!

I think the electric company will love it but I think you would be better off with normal systems. Heat pumps work for the middle of the country , not so good in the north or south.

I agree. I was also thinking, I did'nt know for sure but I did'nt think you can still utilize once thru devices for city water due to waste, conservation wise. I remember a few years ago I went to work on one in downtown Boston that was located above a closet and was completely non accessible for repair. Our boss told them that because it used once thru water they would have to replace it with something else. I know if it was well water that's different. I liked the idea of aiding the heating of the pool and cooling the house in summer.

Heat Pumps eh!

I lived in Saskatchewan for years and had a water cooled A/C in my house ( as did lots of the journeymen at the shop )- the discharge water went to a 50' soaker hose that I moved around the yard as required - kids loved the warm water in their kiddie pool. Just put a water valve on the thing for head pressure control and run the water into the pool.

You can get a heat pump compatible ' A ' coil that you could hook up in your furnace duct - you are getting into pretty much a butcher job on the heat pump though. If you want the unit to use as a heat pump in the winter, pipe a bypass solenoid around the water regulating valve, make sure the heat exchanger has a freeze up stat ( usually factory installed ) and you could run it down to 40 below if you want - the limiting factor is what the city water temp. is. We had a couple of spots in a mall that had no gas access and minimal electrical service - we used city water for a water source heat pump for cooling, along with a bypass around the water valve for heating in the winter. The limiting factor was that later in the winter, the city water got too cold ( under 40 deg. F ) and the unit would trip out on freeze stat when the fluid heat exchanger ( evaporator in heating mode ) got too cold. Before anyone jumps on me, I DID NOT SELL IT, only serviced it. Bottom line was, it worked well, and especially if you don't have metered water, the heat you can get from the water only costs what it takes to run the compressor. ' EDIT ' - there is the moral issue of wasting water in the heating mode though !

An ' A ' coil and TXV and bypass solenoid are not that costly, and if you are a real tech, should be no problem.
    Last edited by freonguy; 05-17-2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: addition
    Superheat and subcooling tell it all !

Thanks for your answer,

Yeah I was thinking of two water reg valves, seen that on one of the rare water cold heat pump Ive seen out there, one water reg valve was for heating and the other for cooling, they were in parallele so it would take care of giving the proper amount of water, as far as cold weather I would put a changeover stat to go from heat pump to gas 1st stage, since my furnace is 80000btu/120000btus and 2.5 ton (30000btus) is not enough for my house in cold weather.