Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: metal filters

metal filters

I really don't know how to explain my question, but here is a shot. The filters on my heat-AC are metal and washable. With the size of the holes in them I don't see how they can do much filtering. It takes months before they even show any traces of dirt. I would like to replace them with something with more filtration, because we can dust and the next day its back, plus allergies. The slots that the filters slide into are only about " wide so I can't find anything that will fit. Can I just add filters over the top of them? Will it damage my fan, ETC.?

Here we go with the Great Filter Debate again. This oughtta be good. I would recommend taking that filter out and have an external filter rack put in. A good local contractor will have quite a few options for filters you can install based on your needs. Good Luck.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Quote "Here we go with the Great Filter Debate again."

I Know the feeling! I am an electrician, the electricians forums always have a little "pet peeve" that sets things rolling for a big debate! Maybe I should have just checked the amps, installed some filters, and checked again............ :-0 , will that bring out another big debate about air flow?

Quote Originally Posted by wertach View Post
    Quote "Here we go with the Great Filter Debate again."

I Know the feeling! I am an electrician, the electricians forums always have a little "pet peeve" that sets things rolling for a big debate! Maybe I should have just checked the amps, installed some filters, and checked again............ :-0 , will that bring out another big debate about air flow?
    Yup, it certainly will. It's just that some on here feel so strongly about the different filters, that it is a never ending battle. Go into the Indoor Air Quality forum and look at some of the extensive debates about filters. Oh yeah, I hope you have about a month to sit and read them all. Good Luck.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

If you are really concerned with your indoor air qaulity then I suggest you contact a local contractor and explain your situation and that you are looking to add a good filter system to help with dust control and allergies. At a minimum I'd suggest something like http://www.aprilaire.com/index.php?z...ry=7&item=2200

or http://mediafilters.com/trion/

if you don't mind spending more money you can get somethign really swank from lennox http://www.lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=PCO

could also do something like this http://www.pureairsystems.com/systems_1200.cfm
    What's my post count now?
    UA Local 636

sounds like you have an electronic air cleaner (eac), but not all the parts. 1/4 inch wide metal filters are called pre filters and are meant to catch the big stuff. you should also have (2) 4" wide metal framed cell that slide into the wide channel in the cabinet. these cells use high voltage to ionize particles and capture them in the collector plates.you can also add post filters in the 1/4" slot behind the cells for even better efficiency. eac is the most efficient filter you can use. call your local heating company and have them check your filter, replace parts that arnt working or are missing and instruct you on how it operates and how to maintian it.

Quote Originally Posted by referrob View Post
    sounds like you have an electronic air cleaner (eac), but not all the parts. 1/4 inch wide metal filters are called pre filters and are meant to catch the big stuff. you should also have (2) 4" wide metal framed cell that slide into the wide channel in the cabinet. these cells use high voltage to ionize particles and capture them in the collector plates.you can also add post filters in the 1/4" slot behind the cells for even better efficiency. eac is the most efficient filter you can use. call your local heating company and have them check your filter, replace parts that arnt working or are missing and instruct you on how it operates and how to maintian it.
    I have seen 1 inch thick metal mesh filters. There is a spray-on coating called "Filter Cote" that is basically a sticky oily substance that catches the dirt. It is expensive, but if you don't use it on these filters the filters are nearly useless.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    I have seen 1 inch thick metal mesh filters. There is a spray-on coating called "Filter Cote" that is basically a sticky oily substance that catches the dirt. It is expensive, but if you don't use it on these filters the filters are nearly useless.
    I've only seen metal filter used in MPHA (Minneapolis Public Housing Authority) houses, and economizer prefilters.

If you don't want an EAC, you can buy the pleated filter substitute made to fit the EAC box.
    S**t or get off the pot!

Metal filters are great for economizer / fresh air makeup applications and Range Hoods...not A/C units.

www.filterfolks.com

Quote Originally Posted by subcooled_ View Post
    I've only seen metal filter used in MPHA (Minneapolis Public Housing Authority) houses, and economizer prefilters.
    I have seen them in many manufactured homes, they basically lay on each side of the A coil. They don't work very well either. I have installed a filter grill above the air handler and sealed off the air handler/grill

Metal filters

I wonder what the logic was for the metal filters. Could it be the filter could be washed rather then replaced. I don't like metal filters and suggest at least throwaway filters changed on schedule. Really good filter systems such as Aprilaire have a box that lasts forever, and a filter needing usually only once a year changing. Trane clean effects for someone who is seriously concerned
    about air quality.
    I think more systems are worn out by not changing the filter or
    keeping the condenser clean.

Could the housing authority have thought the metal filters would have been a
    way that there would be some kind of filter at least for many years?

Even the least efficent filter can at least protect the equipment if changed
    or washed on schedule. The original purpose for a filter was only to protect the unit rather then indoor air quality.
    John

Wertach,

Are the metal filters in a painted metal box that is external to the heating unit?

Or are they located inside the heating unit?

Quote Originally Posted by dfwdiesel View Post
    I wonder what the logic was for the metal filters. Could it be the filter could be washed rather then replaced. I don't like metal

Could the housing authority have thought the metal filters would have been a
    way that there would be some kind of filter at least for many years?

John
    MPHA used metal filters because there was no way anyone living the houses was going to buy or replace filters. The metal ones would get plugged up enough to trip the high limit, I would come out, clean them, then put them back in. They didn't have A/C in any of the houses and the metal didn't stop a whole lot of anything, so they only needed to be cleaned once a year or so.
    S**t or get off the pot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast