Thermmostat settings

My question relates to Thermostat settings, more related to AC than the heat settings.
    I have a small commercial office measuring about 50 Ft long x 28Ft wide, so kind of like a shoebox.
    There is one door.
    It has 2 thermostats for the 2 AC units & 2Air Handlers; if you divide the office lengthwise, each unit serves each half, not exactly half- the hallway makes the one side maybe 5-10% larger.

For various work reasons that are not able to be changed (example: proximity of the door & the computer & the computer operator to the Thermostat etc), it seem that one unit works harder/ runs more often than the other. Even entering the office after hours, say midnight or 4am, when the heat/ AC has been adjusted for the hours when nobody is present, when I read both thermostats there will always be a 2 degree difference between the 2 thermostats, again meaning that even after hours, the same unit will be on more often than the other.

To me, it makes sense to set the 2 thermostats about 2 degrees different to compensate for this. This would make the one unit that usually works less be On more often & thus help heat/cool the section served by the unit that runs usually runs more often, resulting in that typically harder working unit running a tad less, meaning they will both hopefully run about the same. Why have one unit run quite a bit harder? This sounds logical to me, but I am no expert & was hoping I could get a few opinions.
    Thanks

could be a lot of things:

1- one system not operating properly

2- one wall warmer than other

3- t-stat could be off by a few degrees

have the systems been maintained?

has a temperature reading been taken or just going by display on t-stat?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

nateneff, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    could be a lot of things:
    I agree & I'm pretty sure of the sources.

1- one system not operating properly
    I would need a pro to determine but as far as I can tell both operate properly.

2- one wall warmer than other
    Definitely, and the nearby door, more people, computer, & a few other factors
    3- t-stat could be off by a few degrees.
    I didn't think of that but I will check the temp w another device. It is logical & expected by me that there would be a temp difference between the two areas based on the door, people, computor, etc. If indeed my other temp reading device indicates that the thermostats ARE accurate, my question is: does it make sense to set the two thermostats at a 1 or 2 degree difference so that (in the AC season) the "always cooler area" helps the "always warmer area" in hopes that the units run about the same ( instead of the "always warmer area's" AC running more

have the systems been maintained?
    yes. New in 2005, seem to be operating fine best I can tell

has a temperature reading been taken or just going by display on t-stat?
    I very much appreciate your reply & anyone else's comments

Stating and stopping is harder on equipment then have long run times.

If your thermostats have a recirc feature, might want to turn it on. This will help the unit's thermostat that doesn't run as often/much to better sense room/area temp.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I think I understand your thought process.

You have one unit that stays on longer. You think it is doing more work and will be likely to wear out faster or is using more energy then it should.

If you could get the other unit to share the work then your first unit will stay in better shape longer.

This isn't how it works. Yes, a unit that spends less time running will generally last longer, however, shaving off 4 hours of run time a day is not likely to make a huge effect.

These units are built to run 24/7 for 10-15 years "ish". It seems to me you are searching for zebras.

The difference between a horse and a Zebra is merely stripes. When we are searching for zebras we are looking for problems that don't exist or complicating problems above and beyond what they are.

You mentioned you have two units, but you didn't say what size the units are. It could be one unit is bigger then the other. It is most likely that one unit just has more work to do.

But no worries!

A good technician can tell you if the system is being "overworked." Chances are it is working well within the abilities of its design.

Just because one unit works longer doesn't mean it is in danger of doing too much work.

Unless your unit never reaches temperature, I would not worry to much. Besides changing the temperature of one unit to 2F lower is more likely to just make the area it serves colder and do very little to help the other unit.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

XcelTech, you described my thought process & conditions precisely.
    You gave me great info & great news. I sincerely appreciate it.
    I wish I could participate more on this forum because it is very interesting, but it is a bit out of my league