Trane or American Standard (or dual fuel)??

I need to replace an 11 year old outdoor gas/electric unit.

One company suggests the Trane xl1400 which is NOT dual fuel but does have "two-stage gas valve" for heating. It would be 3.5 ton, 14 SEER.

A second company could install the American Standard Triumph 3.5 ton, 14 SEER which is also the two stage heating for $1500 less. They tell me the Trane and American Standard models are exactly the same, only different labels. However, they also suggest a Rheem "dual fuel" unit. The price for the Rheem dual fuel is the same as the price for the Trane xl 1400.

Does anyone have any opinions, advise, etc. they would be willing to share regarding Trane vs. American Standard. And also the efficiency and benefits of going w/ dual fuel vs. straight gas heating.

Thank you!

colagal

The package units you mention are very good and Trane's xl1400 is the same as AmStd's Triumph YCY. I personally think dual fuel for your area/climate is overkill. I would also look at the XL1400 package heat pump(AmStd Heritage 4WCY) if you are interested in better operating costs. Keep in mind with the gas/electric models, you are only receiving an AFUE eff of 80% in a package system.

IMO

I would think SC would be a great area for dual fuel. The gas heat would rarely be needed. If your electric rates are very steep or gas rates extra cheap, maybe not. But your climate is sure good for it.

HVAC Student

I do believe that American Standard owns trane so which ever is cheaper.

Trane vs American Standard

Both units are basically the same. American Standard brand was developed to allow Trane to gain market share by selling their products to other than Trane dealers. The distributors for both brands are basically owned by the same people & distributed out of the same facility in Greenville, South Carolina. Make sure dealers offer same quality of work, same quality of service & same warranties.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

Thank you all for your input.
    I do have another question.

If choosing between the Rheem dual fuel (I think it's the RQPW-B 14 seer, single-phase model) and the American Standard Truimph two-stage unit, which would you get?

The Rheem is $1,150 more, has a lifetime warranty on the heat exchange and 10 year warranty parts/labor on everything else. The Am/Std is 10 years parts/labor on everything.

Thanks again!!

GAL

I still believe dual fuel for Columbia,SC is overkill and I doubt you can justify the cost difference with a reasonable payback. My first choice is the AmStd var speed package heat pump and second choice would be the var speed gas/electric AmStd package unit. If operating costs are important to you, then crunch the numbers on the attached fuel comparison calculator.

Good Luck!
    My Opinion

http://www.warmair.com/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm

Columbia

I agree with Tiger. In Columbia, South Carolina, I would go with the heat pump.
    Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.

With the Trane and American Standard you are comparing "apples to apples."
    American Standard does have a local distributor in Columbia now. A plus if you should need a part.
    I do not think dual fuel is over kill with the rates from the local gas co.
    The Rheem qualifies for a $50 energy tax rebate. vs Trane and American Standard qualify for $350 energy tax credit.

"limited lifetime warranty" vs "20 year limited warranty"; same thing to me.

Any of the above would be a good choice as long as it's installed correctly. Pick the contractor who you feel most comfortable with.

Think you get a better warranty with the Trane XLI. You get 2 years labor coverage and full ten years on all parts when installed as a system.

American Standard: I think 1 year labor
    Allegiance® and Heritage® products:
    10-year limited warranty on Duration™ compressor
    10-year limited warranty on Spine Fin™ coil
    5-year limited warranty on all other parts
    Optional extended warranties available for 10-year coverage on parts and labor (ask your dealer for details)

Trane: XL14i AC and Heat pumps - 2years labor
    Ten-Year Limited Warranty on internal functional parts
    The Ten-Year Functional Parts Warranty extends to the indoor gas furnace, coil, air handler or thermostat when installed as part of a complete XLi comfort system.
    Optional Extended Warranties available. Extended warranties cover labor, refrigerant, and other costs not covered by Manufacturer's Limited Warranty, so you are covered for all parts and labor for the lifetime of the warranties.
    Ask your dealer for full warranty information at time of purchase.
    Warranties are for residential use only.

What I generally tell people regarding warranties is to look for a 10 year parts and labor warranty. Anything such as a compressor or heat exchanger that is warranted longer isn't likely of any real value. In 10 years, the units are likely to be more efficient than they are now and the labor to replace a major part would mean it would make more sense to replace the unit at that time rather than make major repairs.

Even now, we rarely replace heat exchangers or compressors under warranty for units over 10 years old. We always give the option but it just makes more sense to replace the whole unit, get everything covered under a new warranty and enjoy the energy savings.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by colagal View Post
    I need to replace an 11 year old outdoor gas/electric unit.

One company suggests the Trane xl1400 which is NOT dual fuel but does have "two-stage gas valve" for heating. It would be 3.5 ton, 14 SEER.

A second company could install the American Standard Triumph 3.5 ton, 14 SEER which is also the two stage heating for $1500 less. They tell me the Trane and American Standard models are exactly the same, only different labels. However, they also suggest a Rheem "dual fuel" unit. The price for the Rheem dual fuel is the same as the price for the Trane xl 1400.

Does anyone have any opinions, advise, etc. they would be willing to share regarding Trane vs. American Standard. And also the efficiency and benefits of going w/ dual fuel vs. straight gas heating.

Thank you!
    If I could get a Dual Fuel for the same price as a Gas/AC unit no question Dual Fuel. The two stage AC is a game (IMO) to get higher SEER with less coil. See thread
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=136288

Just my opoinion.

The point about the Trane Warranty is all parts are covered by 10years, so it is not limited to the coil and compressor. This includes the thermo, air cleaner entire air handler etc.