Getting in to a union job

Getting in to a union job

I have been exploring the idea of getting in to a union job. I have been in the service side of the trade since 1995. What are the best ways to get your foot in the door?
    Air conditioning to all and to all a good night

Find a union shop and put a resume in.

If you join the Hall without a job to go work at, I'd say you wasted your money.

this is what I was thinking as well. I spoke to the hvac organizer and he was all about joining up and getting going but did not have any real openings.
    Air conditioning to all and to all a good night

Quote Originally Posted by comfort comando View Post
    this is what I was thinking as well. I spoke to the hvac organizer and he was all about joining up and getting going but did not have any real openings.
    Yep. He wants your check now. But a job? Well you'll have to sit at the bottom of the list. If something comes up and every single other guy is working then you can have the scraps. Find a shop that wants you and get hired on then you'll have a 90 day, in our area anyway, grace period to sign up with the hall.

With 18 years of experience, I'm surprised no one took you in yet.

That's not entirely true. Mechanical Technicians shouldn't be on the bench long, if at all.
    Construction is completely different.

I dont know to what union some here belong to, I'm a UA BTJ member and according to UA rules signatories contractors are not allowed to solicit and hire without going first to the union hall, if there are no members benching or the seating members dont fit the contractors needs then the contractor is free to hire anyone and after a 6 month probation period that person would be granted union membership.
    around here NO union will take your money and make you a member just because, you must apply to the union first, have a job and after 6 months they take $200 initiation fee plus your monthly dues. my local has nobody on the bench and they are taking the best non-union mechanics and offering them a chance to make a good living with great benefits and pension plan.

Dont listen to sour grapes.

If a Mechanical Service guy is on the bench long, then he's not very good (reputation or other) or there's not many signatory shops to work for. In my area, there's no locally owned signatory shops..