Thread: Filter Coat

Filter Coat

In the Navy (not the Village People song) we would coat all the foam and fiberglass filters with "filter coat" to increase the static attraction and collect more of the finer stuff. Part of our mandatory preventive maintenance routine. Those subs would produce a couple of trash bags of lint/funk daily and all the equipment had high rpm intake fans to cool the relays and other components. It wasn't an option to use it or not. If it's on the preventive maintenance schedule you did it or else.

I personally have been spraying lysol on my cheap fiberglass filters at the apartment complex to help deodorize and sanitze the extreme funk that goes on there. It also leaves behind a tacky surface on the filter that I'm hoping will attract more pet dander, fine Georgia dust and whatnot. Don't beat me up about proper cleaning, coil pulls, duct cleaning, proper filters and 4-5" media.... The apartment complex aint goin' for none of that. So, in your wise and varied opinions, do you think spraying the filter with a hefty coating of lysol at every filter change will cause more problems than it's worth?

It seems like a good idea, but so did the nuclear bomb! Just want to make sure I'm not unintentionally creating job security for myself by ruining a bunch of coils. All are split system R22 heat pumps at least 12 years old.

Venom

I see no problem, but I also don't think your doing anything except buying a lot of Lysol. A tackifier helps to capture dirty and retain it so if stays on the filter, it doesn't make it more efficient.

If you really want a good tack go to a motorcycle shop and buy some fabric air filter oil in aerosol can (like for k@n).

The maxima fabric filter spray has no smell and really does a good job.

Actually the PJ1 fabric filter spray is what I like

+1 on the PJ1. To be honest, since I don't make much on any of the apartment service calls I don't expend much of my own stock. The Lysol option is for the tenant for their own benefit to at least try to make things better. I carry a case of Filter Charger on the trucks. I've found a lot of the filter sprays meant for automotive use to be too "oily" and usually leaves a petroleum smell. I LIKE IT! But alas, most customers aren't motor heads. They don't even like the way I smell!

Not familiar with the Maxima spray but will look it up. I am forbidden to EVER go to a motorcycle shop The last epic bike adventure on my Bultaco in my post-high school motocross days sealed my fate. Wife doesn't deny me much, but motorcycles haunt her dreams. What's a broken pelvis from time to time?

Thanks for your feedback.

I hear ya! I just suffered a pretty serious broken back on my Atv. Surgery and rods and rods and screws. So I too will be giving up my passion for motocross!

The PJ1 doesn't have much oily smell and I haven't had a customer mention they can smell it. I only use a light coat on the face.

Yes, you definitely could be causing more problems. You're adding new chemicals to an airstream that is already polluted with whatever is causing the funky smell. There are safer sanitizers; I assume they are more expensive than Lysol, but then, I haven't bought Lysol in.... well, ever, so maybe there isn't much of a price difference. I can share the info if you're interested.

Lysol isn't good to breath in so I'd find something else, It's really bad for dogs to. Sbkold sorry to hear about your crash hope you heal up alright, its going to be hell to find a hobby to replace the rush of MX.

Good point about animals. I was just also reminded that some folks who suffer A LOT from allergies of every sort will def have a reaction to the lysol....depending on how much you spray on. But I also had a bad scenario using the generic Filter Charger! I know the ideal thing to do (and the right thing) is to just clean the dang coil. Since the apt complex won't authorize this, and apparently don't care, maybe my attempt at helping is futile at best. If something is wrong, making it smell better doesn't make it more right. I hear ya, Angelique. We need less chems, not more! By the time we grab one chem to defeat the last one we've gotten ourselves in a chemical cesspool that is good for no one. But I'm trying to find a solution, albeit a less than perfect one, to nasty coils and junk growing on the coil from a previous tenant's weird lifestyle. I wish the owners would just allow a proper cleaning in between tenants.

I was just trying to buy some time and help out a bad situation. I've got to pull two coils this week that are so bad that there is zero airflow. I'll send pics when I get out there. I can't keep giving away time and material and concern for these poor systems if the owners won't put some money and care into it. I know you've all been there.

Heard from Nordyne tech today and they are confident that a "lysol" type aerosol won't harm the coil or effect warranty any more than any other filter coat. We've got a lot of fine dust here in southeast Georgia and I believe in filter coat as a second best solution to running 5" media. It isn't perfect but sometimes perfect isn't an option.

Thanks for all the feedback. The animal and allergy thing probably busted my bubble about using it. I was hoping I had a good idea. Thanks for your help, guys.