+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UEi C155 - What level of 02 increase to tell if heat exchanger is cracked

Post Likes

UEi C155 - What level of 02 increase to tell if heat exchanger is cracked

Is there a general consensus on how much the 02 needs to rise in the flue gases post blower turn on to point to a cracked heat exchanger?
    Also, has anyone heard of someone using this test on a natural draft furnace?

Post Likes
    A rise in O2 when the blower starts is not always due to a cracked heat exchanger. Can also happen from other leaks in a furnace.

Never condemn a HX on the combustion results alone, you need to verify it visually.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    A rise in O2 when the blower starts is not always due to a cracked heat exchanger. Can also happen from other leaks in a furnace.

Never condemn a HX on the combustion results alone, you need to verify it visually.
    I've thought about this for a while and can't come up with any other pathway for more O2 to enter the flue than the HX. Please explain.

Post Likes
    Air leaks around the vestibule panel on non-sealed combustion units. Also gasket leaks allowing air into the burner box on sealed combustion units.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bbuller View Post
    I've thought about this for a while and can't come up with any other pathway for more O2 to enter the flue than the HX. Please explain.
    Where there is supposed to be a silicone seal and it breaks down. I have personally never done one but hear goodmans are bad about this.

Post Likes
    I had a few Trane/Am Std furnaces where the screws loosened slightly in the oval ports on the heat exchanger face where the flame enters. Caused a rise in o2 when the blower started.

Post Likes
    To answer your original question, anytime there is more than .5% rise in o2 when the blower starts I am investigating to find out why.

Post Likes
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info. It made sense to me that on a non-sealed combustion furnace that you can have all sorts of ways to introduce O2 via the draft hood/box, but it was not initially clear how a sealed combustion unit would introduce 02 in any avenue than the heat exchanger.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in